Diablo 3 Director Jay Wilson Stepping Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
"we fell short of our promise to release the game "when it's ready.""

Dude... you guys had 7 years, and I'm willing to wager a boatload of cash to develop a top notch game....

audi911

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I guess it's only normal to step down from the Diablo franchise after the monumental fail he created.
I guess his plan is to go butcher and ruin another game.

Maybe he has his eyes set on making the next Star Craft and burning that game to the ground too.

He couldn't take the heat anymore and realized how bad the game was. He is leaving now before more dirt hits the fan.

Shame on him for taking a legendary franchise and having it associated with that 7 year old failure.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]steve360[/nom]Fuck that loser.Whoever replaces JW needs to have their head screwed on correctly.[/citation]I'm not going to rush to blame him for everything since there's no way to tell how many of the problems were caused by decisions made by his superiors.

zander1983

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
[citation][nom]CatfishRes[/nom]TH, you may as well stick with benchmarks and best __ for the money if you're going to be this late with news.[/citation]

This is the first time I hear about this so I have no idea why the rage. It might be a day later than other sites but so what...

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
They had years, and they didn't listen to even their closed or open beta testers in the earlier process... Pretty much a hard fail any way you cut it.

timw03878

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Diablo 3 wasn't a failure.

Stupid people bought it in mass.

Every financial indicator that a company looks at says the game was a huge success.

The sheep bought it, which is a huge signal to any developer that they should keep making the games just that way.

"allegedly remarking" I found that funny...

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]SirGCal[/nom]They had years, and they didn't listen to even their closed or open beta testers in the earlier process... Pretty much a hard fail any way you cut it.[/citation]

Sounds like another software company who don't listen to what the customers want (win8 *cough cough*)

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]timw03878[/nom]Diablo 3 wasn't a failure.Stupid people bought it in mass.Every financial indicator that a company looks at says the game was a huge success.The sheep bought it, which is a huge signal to any developer that they should keep making the games just that way."allegedly remarking" I found that funny...[/citation]

I'm sure that this "success" will lower the number of pre-purchases they will get with future products, their brand took a big hit. From being considered a rock solid developer who always made good quality products where the tons of fans pre-purchased w/o thinking to beeing met with suspicion, read reviews and loose sales. - Success is both short and long-term, short term it was a gain but it will bite them in the ass later!

evga_fan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]I'm sure that this "success" will lower the number of pre-purchases they will get with future products, their brand took a big hit. From being considered a rock solid developer who always made good quality products where the tons of fans pre-purchased w/o thinking to beeing met with suspicion, read reviews and loose sales. - Success is both short and long-term, short term it was a gain but it will bite them in the ass later![/citation]

I second this. D3 did infact sell A WHOLE LOT but they only have to thank D1&2 for their sales "success" because that's where the trust and reputation came from (plain and simple). Much like a new Bond movie rides on the success of the previous one, people are going to buy it, as long as the previous one was any good.
The second you start making crap, you're going to loose a lot of your fanbase. Granted, a portion will always dump money on the product because of the branding (regardless of who's behind it), while others look for the best and don't buy "Nike's" just for the sake of the "Nike's" branding.

Now it's quite evident to me that he is abandoning ship at this point, leaving a big forestfire for someone else to put out.
I REALLY fear that as soon as the name "Jay Wilson" even remotely gets associated with any future game, the sales will go down the toilet (again because of history and reputation).
I'd say, Blizzard would have to get on their knees and bring back the old crew. That's the only way for the order to be restored!

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Wait until the day when they have to bring down the Diablo 3 servers because of lack of players. Then you $60 game will be completely worthless.

If they would release a patch that would allow offline single player and LAN based multiplayer and get rid of this RMAH crap, I bet their brand would totally save face with gamers.

jonyah

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Maybe D3 has a chance to become a decent game now? Too bad, wherever he's headed to will fail. D3 is the last Blizzard game I will ever pay money for. They've forgotten what it takes to make a good game.

G

So this guy botches Diablo III, doesn't listen to the fans who DON'T want always online DRM, releases the game pre-maturely, (I think this dev. cycle was second only to Duke Nukem Forever in terms of years / $ spent), AND calls one of the co-founders who actually helped release the original Diablo that was a huge success, he calls that guy a loser? w...t...f...

Don't transfer this a$$ to ruin another IP, fire him! And don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out!

[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Path of Exile... might as well step down before 1 million people hit that game on Wednesday.[/citation]
Torchlight 2 is wonderful and much cheaper than diablo 3 as well.

bisso

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
I doubt he will be moved to another project as game director. Blizzard know this guy just costed them way more than D3 sells. The letter he wrote was basicly just a way for Blizzard to put fire him nicely and quietly.

Status
Not open for further replies.