Diablo 3's Senior Producer Quits, Leaves Blizzard

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The candidate must enjoy seeing a project from inception to completion and delivering games on time with the highest quality.

Then why would he want to work on Diablo III, a game that should be way past half done and almost certainly wont be delivered on time.

lashabane

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Diablo 3 is slated for an early 2012 release, but if Blizzard is currently looking for someone to fill the Senior Producer boots, then we may not see the game until 2Q12, possibly later. Cross your fingers that's not the case
I'm sure there's a lot of qualified people clamoring to get this position already so a push back over one team member isn't very likely.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]Then why would he want to work on Diablo III, a game that should be way past half done and almost certainly wont be delivered on time.[/citation]

agreed. i'm pretty sure he's still under a non-disclosure agreement.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
removed scroll of identification eh.

While they were tedious, it added a bit of excitement to see what you finally got. So I can imagine those testing the game are probably players from WoW who want everything easy.

v3nom777

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Scroll of identification gone!? I loved seeing if the huge axe I lugged around in my inventory for the duration of a mission was actually worth something. Apparently your character in Diablo is now also, on top of being warrior, also an antique and magical weapons expert.

I think I just vomited in my mouth a little.

G

"Streamlining" "Balancing" and "Simplifying" are the mantra these days at Blizzard. Makes for pretty looking, idiot proof games that tend to lose my interest in about a week these last couple releases. Lowest common denominator is where all the money is though so can't really blame em. meh

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]v3nom777[/nom]Scroll of identification gone!? I loved seeing if the huge axe I lugged around in my inventory for the duration of a mission was actually worth something. Apparently your character in Diablo is now also, on top of being warrior, also an antique and magical weapons expert.I think I just vomited in my mouth a little.[/citation]

well think of it this way, your character should be well versed in the weapons/items they use, and should be able to identify something as being good or not. its possible that many of the stats could be revield off the bat, but special ones that you are unfamiliar with would need an expert.

really the scrolls were just a pain to always have with me and always take up space, especially when there is next to no space in those games to go around.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]well think of it this way, your character should be well versed in the weapons/items they use, and should be able to identify something as being good or not. its possible that many of the stats could be revield off the bat, but special ones that you are unfamiliar with would need an expert. really the scrolls were just a pain to always have with me and always take up space, especially when there is next to no space in those games to go around.[/citation]
I understand it will make things easier and yes the scrolls were annoying (along with town portal scrolls). however i hope this isn't a step which blizzard will quite often take where they start to make things easier and more straight forward to capture the casual gamer. It's only a small change but i hope it's not a trend we will see continue.

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I think he got Religious or spiritual or something like that. "Bigger and better" things? He most likely thinks he found God, or wants to help people (which you gotta admit, would be a better thing).

In other words, he's nuts.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Goldengoose[/nom]I understand it will make things easier and yes the scrolls were annoying (along with town portal scrolls). however i hope this isn't a step which blizzard will quite often take where they start to make things easier and more straight forward to capture the casual gamer. It's only a small change but i hope it's not a trend we will see continue.[/citation]

meh, they could just go with a titan quest approach, which isnt bad, unlimited portals, but only one at a time. and just not have the identify stuff because whats the realistic point?

i mean to make sense in a game setting, are you telling me a trained warrior is going to pick up a browse sword, and a sword that is so powerful it would make him a living god, that he uses both and sees no difference at all until he is told how good it is?

i could understand if they added a new mechanic to the game where you get tought each stat one by one and pay for it, one by one so you can spot them on your own...

but this isnt over simplifying the game, its just taking some useless meta game out of the equation (tell me that any time passed level 10 you ever had trouble getting enough scrolls to fill a book)

Formata

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
[citation][nom]mrkdilkington[/nom]Why wouldn't they just promote someone internally? Seems like it would be quite a task to come in this late and produce it.[/citation]

My thoughts exactly... No one on the dev team up to the producer role? Surely a D3 dev team member, who has been working on the game would be a more logical choice. This is a weird development, maybe it really is further away than we think :(

G

Now everything makes dense. We suffer because they have internal issues.

ArgleBargle

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]so Q2 2013?[/citation]

[citation][nom]Formata[/nom]My thoughts exactly... No one on the dev team up to the producer role? Surely a D3 dev team member, who has been working on the game would be a more logical choice. This is a weird development, maybe it really is further away than we think[/citation]

Hell, I'd be happy with the next SC2 installment...

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Later on via Twitter, Parker made references to "bigger and better things"

That is a bit of a large claim. Something bigger and better than Diablo III? I certainly wouldn't bet on whatever hes going for as being such. Remember what happened last time this happened with former Blizzard employees left to go on their own? Hell-Gate London happened.

The candidate must enjoy seeing a project from inception to completion and delivering games on time

This almost sounds like they are taking a jab at Steve Parker as he both left early and the game will be late.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I am glad to see activition has not influenced blizzard. I'm surprised they haven't forced blizzard to kick quality to the curb in favor of a new rehash of a game every year.

diablo III like all blizzard titles whill be here when it is a fun polished complete game... not a modern warfare where they do a new story mode that peopel ignore and jus thave to ge tthe new vertion to keep playign the multiplayer

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I agree with others that I don't understand why they don't promote within. What's with all the outside hiring these days? ESPECIALLY in a well-established company with a largely completed game project. Why should anyone bother to work hard and make themselves valuable to a company, if they won't be considered for promotion?

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]I am glad to see activition has not influenced blizzard. I'm surprised they haven't forced blizzard to kick quality to the curb in favor of a new rehash of a game every year. diablo III like all blizzard titles whill be here when it is a fun polished complete game... not a modern warfare where they do a new story mode that peopel ignore and jus thave to ge tthe new vertion to keep playign the multiplayer[/citation]

WTF are you talking about??? No Activision influence? Real money auction house, always connected internet, incorporation of in game ads (maybe not in d3 but in future games)!!!!!!!!! Do these not sound like an activision influence?????

Status
Not open for further replies.