Diablo III Performance, Benchmarked

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
My Logitech mice has a worn left click. Sometimes, I click once and it clicks twice instead. I guess this defect will be a PLUS in Diablo III

G

Please note: With certain Graphic cards you have to revert all the way to 12.0 Drivers :(
(HD3650 for example)

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Look at the way the skill tree has been simplified and the gameplay overall is simpler than DII (no portal book or identify book for example).

Now add in the ease with which low capability systems handle this title.

It is clear that Diablo III has been optimised for a console. Just because there is no simultaneous release for a console does not mean that the design requirements for one were not incorporated early on. The knock on effect is that lower end hardware can produce an enjoyable experience on the PC.

In general I think this is a good thing with only a tinge of disappointment that there could have been more, especially in the skill choice complexity.

Q

[citation][nom]Gich[/nom]No comments on CF and SLI scaling? It's almost too good.[/citation]
The charts include the 460SLI and 6850xfire. According to the graph, @ 1080p scaling seems to be more than double for SLI (62 to 130fps? Are we sure about that?) and right around double in crossfire.
With 2 GTX 680s I was getting around 320fps on average in single player and 260s with 4 players in multiplayer during the beta test at 1080p. The lowest I saw it dip to was to 170fps. I didn't try it with one card, but the performance is so ridiculous in SLI with anything beyond what's in the charts here it doesn't even need to be included. Look at the performance of the any of the mid-level (6850 and above) gaming cards @ 1080p. They are even cranking out great framerates easily above the 60 mark in 1080p.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Flying-Q[/nom]Look at the way the skill tree has been simplified and the gameplay overall is simpler than DII (no portal book or identify book for example).Now add in the ease with which low capability systems handle this title.It is clear that Diablo III has been optimised for a console. Just because there is no simultaneous release for a console does not mean that the design requirements for one were not incorporated early on. The knock on effect is that lower end hardware can produce an enjoyable experience on the PC.In general I think this is a good thing with only a tinge of disappointment that there could have been more, especially in the skill choice complexity.Q[/citation]

town portal and identify were two of the stupidest things they could have brought to the third game. all they really did for ANYONE who played the game a bit was take up what, 4 inventory slots.

now tell me, an expert in fighting, do you think they could at the very least make a judgement call on item quality?

and running the game on low end hardware... how many people do you think have high end hardware? i hate it when people complain about a good engine because it runs well even on lower hardware... do you really what another crysis situation where is so poorly optomized that its unplayable for years at the high end? im glad that the days of future thinking are over "lets add this to the game... what todays hardware cant play it... well future hardware will... because we are thinking of future hardware, we dont have to trim the code anymore, let it bloat, the future can handle it" and sadly that was the way many games were made years ago, crysis to my knowledge was the last one to do that.

and one last thing, these diablo like games play FAR better on consoles than on the pc, look at the ps2 everquest games if you dont believe me, i would welcome well integrated controller support.

i have to say, i thought that a comment like this persons would pop up far sooner than it did.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ubercake[/nom]The charts include the 460SLI and 6850xfire. According to the graph, @ 1080p scaling seems to be more than double for SLI (62 to 130fps? Are we sure about that?) and right around double in crossfire.With 2 GTX 680s I was getting around 320fps on average in single player and 260s with 4 players in multiplayer during the beta test at 1080p. The lowest I saw it dip to was to 170fps. I didn't try it with one card, but the performance is so ridiculous in SLI with anything beyond what's in the charts here it doesn't even need to be included. Look at the performance of the any of the mid-level (6850 and above) gaming cards @ 1080p. They are even cranking out great framerates easily above the 60 mark in 1080p.[/citation]

Have a the same gfx set-up beside playing at 2560x1600, enabled high quality ambient occlusion with the SLI AA modes rather than use all that extra power for extra fps over 100 to no use.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]I still use a 9600GT, anyone have any idea how it would work with that?[/citation]
[citation][nom]Gman450[/nom]Well you can perhaps look somewhere around the GT440 or the HD 6670 but don't expect the same FPS.[/citation]
I second this. FPS should be closer to the 6670. Own a 9600GT too, surprised it's still useful, though it needs an overclock a lot of times :D

G

what's the point in benchmarking game in place where nothing's happening?

thehelix

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
[citation][nom]schnitter[/nom]My Logitech mice has a worn left click. Sometimes, I click once and it clicks twice instead. I guess this defect will be a PLUS in Diablo III[/citation]

Send their customer support a mail. I did that and they replaced it with a brand new one (better model since my old one was discontinued.) I love Logitech customer support.

thehelix

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
To the people complaining about the RMAH. Diablo 2 was plagued with sites that would sell you items for money (no need to mention names.. everyone who has played diablo enough knows what i mean). I guess Blizzard thought that if they can't find an efficient way to stop that from happening , at least provide the players with an "official" alternative.

So don't act like money for items is something new to the diablo community.

whitey_rolls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
This likely doesn't take into account 4x players on the screen with all the effects turned up. It's likely once you get into multi player the performance will take a hit - but the game still won't require a beefy rig to run.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
If your specific video card isn't listed, and you want a good idea of what to expect, I suggest you go to a Tomshardware graphics card recommendation article and look up where your card places on the chart at the end.

;)

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]town portal and identify were two of the stupidest things they could have brought to the third game. all they really did for ANYONE who played the game a bit was take up what, 4 inventory slots.now tell me, an expert in fighting, do you think they could at the very least make a judgement call on item quality? and running the game on low end hardware... how many people do you think have high end hardware? i hate it when people complain about a good engine because it runs well even on lower hardware... do you really what another crysis situation where is so poorly optomized that its unplayable for years at the high end? im glad that the days of future thinking are over "lets add this to the game... what todays hardware cant play it... well future hardware will... because we are thinking of future hardware, we dont have to trim the code anymore, let it bloat, the future can handle it" and sadly that was the way many games were made years ago, crysis to my knowledge was the last one to do that.and one last thing, these diablo like games play FAR better on consoles than on the pc, look at the ps2 everquest games if you dont believe me, i would welcome well integrated controller support. i have to say, i thought that a comment like this persons would pop up far sooner than it did.[/citation]
Did you actually read my post?

You appear to be arguing how bad my comments are whilst simultaneously agreeing with me.

4745454b

Titan
I wish I had seen this. I have recently upgraded my PC to play D3. I ended up buying a 256bit GTX460 to replace my 5750. If the 5770 can top the GTX460 in this game, I'll have to put my old 5750 back in to see how it does. Looks like I've got some digging to do and will try to report back what the difference is.

It seems that time, low resolutions, and antiquated visuals do not stand in the way of sublime game play.

We know that EA has ignored this for years now, I hope that Blizzard hasn't forgot.

G

Good article, the part where you tested the CPUs was quite enlightening.

I have a request is possible, could we have this test on mobile graphics? By the looks of things HD3000 & HD4000 should be fast enough, the latter maybe with some details. Or maybe include the tests for the A10 launch...

[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Have a the same gfx set-up beside playing at 2560x1600, enabled high quality ambient occlusion with the SLI AA modes rather than use all that extra power for extra fps over 100 to no use.[/citation]
I didn't even consider that. Good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.