Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Promises Mayhem, Randomness

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD1987

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
It sounds very promising. And with some fresh ideas on the dev team I really think Blizzard will deliver on this one.

You sure you did all 4 difficulties? Because unless you went to the RMAH and bought all Inferno class gear, Inferno was, at release, hard as hell and self found was near impossible.

You will keep your current character just have ACT V open for you.

My problem is why is it taking so long? The answer? The console version. They have focused more on it, hence why the console version is out, with a better loot system at that, and RoS will also hit for the consoles the same day.

The last major update to the game (not including any small fixes but had gameplay changes or new content) was in May and there is no patch planned until at the very earliest March 2014, when they kill the AH and add some of the new loot features.

The rumor is that the Expansion, which will be what contains most of the new stuff people actually want, is May 2014 so a year before the game may actually become decent compared to now where very few people will consistently play it.

Spencer Castillo

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
"Diablo 3 was ok, beat it in about 3 days. It was fun, but too easy..."

I'l be impressed if you reach inferno act 3 in 3 days which i highly doubt.

I played diablo on the first week of the release and unlike now, inferno was very hard to beat. I actually reach inferno act 1 after a week of playing, many players were able to reach sooner but im on a full time job so i can only spend 6 hours a day playing diablo. it took me one weekend to finish act 1 and a whole week reach act 3.

MD1987

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

I played PoE. Yeah, it's neat. But the skill tree isn't all that exciting once you realize that it's mostly +stats filler nodes with a couple almost mandatory ones depending on your class. And combat just feels clunky and slow.

Eisbrecher34

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012

Well PoE has been in the making for 7 years so they never had D3 to compare against. That being said though, as a D2 fan I enjoy the slower and clunkier combat because it feels more like D2. Add to that the gem / skill system (colors, links, levels, etc...) and a good balance on loot I really have nothing to complain about. Oh and its free ;)

As far as the +stats comment goes, I don't know how high of a level you have gotten to, but it becomes a pretty precise science by the time you get to merciless. That is when the game truly shines because you either live or die by your skill tree, not really so much what your equipment is, which is the exact opposite of D3.

In the end I kind of liked D3, and hopefully these changes may make it a bit more fun, but other than the fact that it is a lot more refined and looks a little nicer, when it comes to core game play and D2 nostalgia, PoE is much more fun to me.

mazty

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Why on earth would I pay for an expansion of a broken game? All this expansion will do is separate the gamers from the blizzard fanboys.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
RMAH doesn't exist on xbox360, and I heard this was coming for a PC update soon. I wonder if this expansion adds that (or rather removes RMAH...LOL). You can play the xbox360 version totally offline and never connect once for anything. It was said this was coming to the PC version, which may finally get me to purchase. If I have to connect to the net ONE time. NO PURCHASE :) I want nothing to do with Blizzards servers (or any other COMPANY servers or any game that depends on them to live forever), nor steam etc. I may go steam once steamOS is up and running great, but it's only because it won't be IN WINDOWS. I refuse to use steam IN windows. But SteamOS avoids that. I can dual boot that and finally enjoy some steam games :)

the console version of the game is broken.

act IV in hell mode master 1 is harder than inferno master 2. at first i thought they introduced some new game update to increase the difficulty until i realized it was bugged.

the console version now has some pretty extreme lag. this is likely a psn issue though? not sure.

why oh why can we not search for people playing a given difficulty level (eg inferno) with all difficulty levels. it can be a complete pain to actually find a game with all of the random joins and resetting the current levels.

d3 is chock full of worthless skills which you cannot use since it is very unforgiving at higher difficulty levels. essentially you are stuck running 2-3 builds if you actually want to live.

----

overall d3 is a fun game however the major flaws are almost too much to bear.

joditas

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
The engine D3 is using is really lacking. It doesn't look that great yet the resources it consumes are rather high, especially at CPU front. It doesn't have dynamic lighting and to me that's one of the biggest factors hurt how the game looks and feels. D1 and D2 though are 2D, they have that gritty and shadowy atmosphere, which really fit the game's lore well. I don't think the engine even uses modern shader, which can also limit how the game looks. The art direction and monster design are WoWish. They don't look scary and even humorous in some cases. It seems the staff have been influenced heavily by WoW and can't come up something really hideous and disgusting.

Not a fan of the new skill paradigm but I can live with it. The problem is for a system like this, it basically encourages you to play around with all the skills based on situations, yet it penalizes you by cancelling Nephalem Valor when changing skill. The mere 6 skill slots also contribute the game's repetitiveness. You don't have room for "fun" skills, or mix and mash with lots of different skills, all the 6 have to be the bare minimum you have to use just to survive.

joaompp

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
still waiting for gamepad support on the PC, no reason why only the PS3 version gets it, and no I will not play it on the PS3, the visuals look like a PSOne game, it's pretty bad.

Um what? Steam is one of the best things about Windows. SteamOS wont even have the majority of good games since its Linux based and hence will use OGL.

There is no reason to not use Steam in Windows. And SteamOS is just Steam Big Picture Mode.

Bingo.

The PS3 has it because its a console that mainly uses the gamepad.

And unless they completely change the UI to match the console, which even with RoS it doesn't look like it, I doubt it will add support.

I think there are apps you can use to use a gamepad but honestly it probably wont work as well as the PS3 version.

f-14

Distinguished
the entire game was weak sauce and lame with all the stuff removed from diablo 2.

i would rather have had diablo2 with updated graphics and bug fixes to make it work on vista, 7 and 8 instead of all of the other changes made.

this was the worst remake ever.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

I know how to patch/update my games (and crack them if needed to play without the stinking DRM as I should be able to do with my PURCHASED games, and as real pirates experience the game stripped of that junk)), so I have no use for any other stuff steam gives me. I used to have to fix steam installs all the time (some borking my OS installs for customers during my 8yrs as a PC business). I don't think it's so bad now, I just have no use for testing it again. I prefer gog. SteamOS however has what I want (games on my TV) without it being in windows. Don't kid yourself, Valve/Id etc will be pushing OpenGL etc even harder now for linux and android to hurt DX more. That is the goal. I don't need their old games anyway, just want anything without directx going forward and steamos/android etc will provide more of that. Steam is only great if you don't know how to do anything yourself and I don't play multiplayer much if ever. I use no social junk (twitter, facebook etc, or anything like those to communicate with people) so again nothing gained.

For people using all of it's features I'm sure most (MOST) enjoy it and it certainly makes PC gaming a bit easier for some who can't deal with patches, settings etc. Steam is pretty big, but if they ever go down or get bought you could end up locked out of a lot of games. Like I said, I will likely jump for steamos away from my windows, but never regular steam ON windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.