Diablo III Season 1 Launches Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

pills161

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Am I the only one who thinks achievements and virtual e-penis size battles are lame for games? It seems like anymore you will have a half decent game and instead of adding REAL content (you know, like maps, items, new play mods etc...) you just get achievements/competitions? They aren't a bonus to the game they just keep better track of what you're already doing. Does anyone REALLY care about how further in the game another player has reached? about who was the first person to hit lvl 70 in hardcore because they play every minute of every day and I don't?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Wish Blizzard spent the time doing truly Randomized Instances rather than the same static ones over and over but i guess the consoles limited hardware crippled that possibility for the PC that have the hardware to do it in the blink of an eye.

Its pure BS that they came up with the idea to release for consoles afterwards, the whole design stinks of dumped down (no offence, the input options as well as the hardware on the consoles are limiting) console design.

Consoler's go ahead and vote it down the post if you like, know the truth can hurt when not viewed objectively.

My 2 cents!

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Sounds like Blizzard is hurting due to Path of Exile being a better Diablo than Diablo 3 and mimicking what PoE has been doing since it started.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
They introduced this play mode in Diablo II in 2003 IIRC and that's about the time I stopped caring about that game. In fact, it drove me away so hard I never even bought Diablo III... (Though to be honest, the always-online requirements was a big no-no for me this time and probably the deciding factor.)

fkr

Splendid
Am I the only one who thinks achievements and virtual e-penis size battles are lame for games? It seems like anymore you will have a half decent game and instead of adding REAL content (you know, like maps, items, new play mods etc...) you just get achievements/competitions? They aren't a bonus to the game they just keep better track of what you're already doing. Does anyone REALLY care about how further in the game another player has reached? about who was the first person to hit lvl 70 in hardcore because they play every minute of every day and I don't?

first of all i upvoted you (you know you like the upvotes).

but games are always about progress. if we really look at games it is about accomplishing some sort of goal. these accomplishments really do not mean anything but there is something to be said for just finding some goal in an activity that you already enjoy and meeting that goal.

for example i casually play on kongregate (at 1440p and CF 7950's) and I do take some weird sense of pleasure in seeing that I have a higher player lvl than others. I will a times play games I do not really care about just for the 10xp. why? because I am human and we like to compare ourselves to others.

egmccann

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010

Eh. Half and half.

The addons don't appeal to me (D3 *barely* does, to be honest) but some people like that sort of competition. Why not give them something?

I keep thinking back to City of Heroes, where badges (and accolades) were introduced *along with* other content. New zone? Exploration badges, defeat badges, maybe some new giant monster or event to get badges in - they were a very organic part of the game, and some people enjoyed going after them and seeing just how many badges they could get. They even set up a fan site to help track and rank them.

In some ways, it's PVP without directly fighting another player. Just another form of competition.

If you're not into it? *shrug* Ignore it. I did.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Yay we can compete against other players score. ERMAGERD. Cause no one wants any PVP, even WoW had competitive pvp that was so original (*Cough* DAOC *Cough*).

"Blizzard won’t open the doors all at once but will stagger the release so that the servers can handle the load."

So all that money they get from Wow players and extremely high priced expansions yet they are unable to handle the load? I wonder what their servers specs are, its the only MMORPG company that has to make 6+ hours of maintenance every tuesday only to have issue again 1-2 days later.

Status
Not open for further replies.