Diablo III's Female Monk Spotted on Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojodadude

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Nice take on this one Kevin. Blizzard been overly obvious/obnoxious with their viral marketing. I will care when I see it on the shelves.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I hope it takes a 5970 or higher just to max this game at 1920x1080, but can use a lowly 4650 at 1920x1080 at minimum settings.
I want software to advance past hardware again...
Also, native mutli monitor support.

This game better be good Blizzard, I have been waiting a VERY long time for this. I remember finding a Diablo 1 demo and playing it, it was awesome. I eventually bough D2 and much later on the expansion (I miss my hammerdin and druid). I even played though D1 some more (I had a D1 disc laying around one day, no idea were it came from, but I'm not complaining).
Diablo, for me, was the second best game in history. Only beaten by the insanely addictive WoW (I got addicted because my guild became like my family I guess).

Blizzard, you have many people that will do anything for this game. Please go all out, but focus on game play first (regardless, DX11 physics, tessellation, you name it).

If the games good enough I'm even willing to wait a few more years.
Oh, and don't make the expansion messed up (inventory items giving bonus', wtf?)

FREE TO PLAY ONLINE! I WILL NOT BUY IT OTHERWISE!

quickwind

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
I was a big diablo fan, but Blizzard's quality seems to be going downhill with garbage easy mode games like WoW, and all the patches in LoD to make so many overpowered items. If I hear the game is actually a challenge I might consider it. I also don't think the graphics fit the nature of diablo very well. Perhaps blizzard will get my money for the first time in nearly a decade, but probably not.

barmaley

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Ok, let me clear something up. It has been previously announced as well as demonstrated in the game play demo that EVERY character will have a male and a female version. For example, you can play as a male wizard or a female wizard. However, they are both still wizards! The way this article is written, it makes the impression that the 5th character is a female monk! WTF!? It does NOT go like: Barbarian, Wizard, Witch Doctor, Monk and Female Monk! LOL!!! Just an alter ego of an existing character. Nothing to see here... BTW, I'm pretty sure the fifth character will be a range attack one, like rogue or amazon.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
The game will require a *350 or better and use dx9, maybe dx10. It's blizzard we are talking about, low graphics, high gameplay and replay.

The quality of the games is not really the problem if you ask me. it's the overly hyping and long waits between the titles. They try to stretch it all as long as possible and in the end a lot of players just lost interest in the game. I don't care about it anymore and I'm not buying other blizzard games either.

Bioware is a lot better on the marketing. Sure, they don't let you wait so long and good multiplayer options to keep you occupied in their games, but when you are done with one game, the other franchise is starting the hype engine and you just want to get that game too. They just never have to forget that quality is better than quantity and we will have a bright future with good bioware games and once a decade a few good blizzard games.

It's been ages since I played D1, or D2 for that matter. I have very fond memories of my werewolf druid ripping apart demons en masse.

How can Blizzard take so long to develop a single game? We should already have Diablo 4 by now. Sigh...

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
diablo iii is going to suck bad. there's no real innovation. it's just a rehash with slightly better graphics. there is no real rpg depth in diablo and it's clones. it's a last gen game using last gen tech. where is dx11 support? it's 2010 people! get with the time!

foody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I wish there were more character customization. Even though that isn't how Diablo has been in the past, I think it would add to the diversity of the game. Doing Baal runs on D2 with five other hammerdins that look exactly the same gets boring.

I can't help feeling a little bit nostalgic when I see this stuff. But after playing some more recent clones like Titan Quest I wonder if the gameplay will hold up. I never finished that one because I was bored.

I have a feeling from my own impressions and after reading these comments that it may be too little too late. I think a lot of us have moved on from this style of play. I'm not sure if old Diablo fans really care anymore.

Xzar

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]I hope it takes a 5970 or higher just to max this game at 1920x1080, but can use a lowly 4650 at 1920x1080 at minimum settings.I want software to advance past hardware again...[/citation]

I doubt it. I used to follow D3's progress in detail, and they were saying that they will work primarily with DX9, even though the game is due for release in 2011 at the earliest...

Games these days rarely try to push the hardware. Take another 2011 game, Star Wars: The Old Republic. It's an MMO upon which EA and George Lucas poured dozens of millions in, but the graphics look simply terrible, worse than a 2008 game like Aion.

The game developers are lazy about putting new technology to good use, and instead fall back on the "we want more people to play the game that's why our game looks like it was made in 2005".

http://www.massively.com/2009/08/25/nearly-20min-worth-of-swtor-gameplay-video/

ook at the GC 2009 Walkthrough pt. 2

At 3:05 you can see some running footage
at 3:20 he starts swinging his lightsaber, pay attention to how constipated he looks when he moves around with a sword

That game might be pushing a 7800GT card, if that...

Xzar

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
[citation][nom]rwpritchett[/nom]How can Blizzard take so long to develop a single game? We should already have Diablo 4 by now. Sigh...[/citation]

Back in 2004 they put a lot of their programmers on World of Warcraft.

The Diablo 2 producers and many of its developers left to form Flagship Studios which made Hellgate London, a game that wasn't successful. I wish those Flagship Studio guys would have made a Diablo type game instead.

Xzar

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
[citation][nom]buzznut[/nom]I can't help feeling a little bit nostalgic when I see this stuff. But after playing some more recent clones like Titan Quest I wonder if the gameplay will hold up. I never finished that one because I was bored.I have a feeling from my own impressions and after reading these comments that it may be too little too late. I think a lot of us have moved on from this style of play. I'm not sure if old Diablo fans really care anymore.[/citation]

People care, because believe or not Diablo II is the best game for a group of old friends to pick up and just play together for fun.

No running around looking for quests like World of Warcraft. No reading required. Enough skills and items to keep people interested. Just non-stop action, looting, helping your pals stay alive by killing whatever you can see.

Yeah, we can play stuff like Gears of War as a team in horde mode, but just killing stuff in endless wave, without gear upgrade or skill customization, with no penalty for dying gets boring a lot faster.

And Diablo II in Harcore Mode in a group of 4 friends = the best.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Xzar[/nom]Back in 2004 they put a lot of their programmers on World of Warcraft.The Diablo 2 producers and many of its developers left to form Flagship Studios which made Hellgate London, a game that wasn't successful. I wish those Flagship Studio guys would have made a Diablo type game instead.[/citation]
Hellgate was a fun game though. Sad to see it go.
Flagship somewhat turned into Runic Games though (which created the ever so low budget Torchlight, which also is fun).
The core of the D2 developers may not be working for Blizzard anymore, btu rest assured, they're still making great games.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Xzar[/nom]Diablo II in Harcore Mode in a group of 4 friends = the best.[/citation]
... I completely forgot about hardcore mode. Thanhk you for reminding me for possibly the best feature of the game (aside form the Cow King, which was epic).

kenjiuchimura

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Xzar[/nom]People care, because believe or not Diablo II is the best game for a group of old friends to pick up and just play together for fun. No running around looking for quests like World of Warcraft. No reading required. Enough skills and items to keep people interested. Just non-stop action, looting, helping your pals stay alive by killing whatever you can see.Yeah, we can play stuff like Gears of War as a team in horde mode, but just killing stuff in endless wave, without gear upgrade or skill customization, with no penalty for dying gets boring a lot faster.And Diablo II in Harcore Mode in a group of 4 friends = the best.[/citation]

Couldn't agree more. It's a hard shame that people are stuck in the MMO mindset right now. Online action RPGs should've been the next step forward, unfortunately nobody's come near the quality of D2 besides Titan Quest, and those studio went under too.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]I want software to advance past hardware again...[/citation]
And that would indeed be great. But it's not going to happen with a blizzard production. They're always overly conservative about their games. They've never released a game that required current spec hardware to work at its best. In fact it's never even released a game that could make use of the latest generation features. I'm guessing nvidia will have had dx11 cards for a year before blizzard thinks of implementing it in any of their products. Just take diablo 2 as an example. When it was released people had 32mb graphics yet the game ran at 640x480 - with the expansion upped to 800x600 which still was silly. And look at wow - until the 3.0.2 patch (preparation for their last expansion) their graphics looked like it ran on a dx7 engine ... hardly any better than something as ancient as emperor (dune 2 in a 3d engine) or battlezone.
So don't get your hopes up. It's far more likely that an innovative company like Zenimax, bioware or crytek would dare publish a game that'd justify the development and existence of new generations of hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.