News Diablo IV PC Performance: We're Testing a Bunch of GPUs

zipspyder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2014
Just an FYI. I was playing the beta's on an intel laptop with UHD630 igpu and it ran fine at low and a couple medium settings. I don't know the fps but it was smooth enough to enjoy the game,.

JarredWaltonGPU

Senior GPU Editor
Editor
4PM PDT, not 6PM
Fixed. The closing said 7pm EDT, I could have sworn I had the right time in the intro as well, but apparently not. I live in MDT, others in EDT or CDT, so it can get a bit confusing at times. LOL
It appears FSR 2.1 should be supported. Source is AMD.com, Reddit, D4 forums, as well as several other lesser known forums/sites.
Yeah, I'll be checking whatever options are available, as appropriate. Meaning, DLSS on Nvidia and FSR2 on AMD/Intel GPUs.
Is that out of the norm for a website like this? How is that headline news?
Gee, it's almost like Diablo IV is a major game that a ton of people will want to play, and that doing an article on performance is something people who come to Tom's Hardware would like to see. If you don't care about seeing benchmarks (when I'm able to test), why bother to come and comment?
Title shows Diablo VI. Now that is news!
Oops! I corrected several of these when I wrote this up yesterday. My muscle memory is way more tuned to writing "VI" than "IV" (Nvidia for example is vi). I blame my editor for not catching the other errors, but at least it was in the subtitle and not the headline!

JarredWaltonGPU

Senior GPU Editor
Editor
I've got just about every GPU available from the past ~decade. Okay, some of the older generation are definitely missing (I only have 670 and 650 Ti Boost, and the 780 is my sole 700-series GPU). But from GTX 970 and above on Nvidia, and AMD RX 550 and above, I probably have it. If you really want to see a benchmark run on GTX 670, I can accommodate that. Just... pitch it in the comments, and I'll be going through and picking out the top voted responses.

My initial plan is to test in roughly this order for current GPUs:

RTX 4090
RTX 4070 Ti
RTX 4060 Ti
RX 7900 XTX
RX 6900 XT
RX 7600
[Post initial charts]

RTX 4080
RTX 4070
RX 7900 XT
RX 6950 XT
[Update charts]

RTX 3090
RTX 3080
RTX 3070
RTX 3060
RTX 3050
[Update charts]

RX 6950 XT
RX 6800 XT
RX 6700 XT
RX 6600 XT
RX 6600
RX 6500 XT
[Update charts]

Arc A770 16GB
Arc A750
Arc A380
[Update charts]

There are reasons to start with newer cards (ecomm, SEO, etc.) But once those are out of the way, I can go back and start hitting other GPUs that people want to see tested, or if I don't have the exact GPU, something from a similar generation. Also note that I'm grouping AMD, Intel, and Nvidia GPUs together where possible, because then I don't have to worry about cleaning out drivers between every GPU swap. So I can test all the 30-series in one sweep before doing DDU and then switching to AMD 6000-series. More or less.

Further updates will depend on how much traffic this generates. Meaning, if nobody is reading, I maybe stop after the above and call it a day. If lots of people are reading and requesting additional GPUs to be tested, I may stay up late and run those benchmarks as well.

GPUs will be tested where it makes sense. What that means is I start at 1080p medium (or if it's a really low-end GPU, 720p/1080p low). Then I move to 1080p ultra, 1440p ultra, and 4K ultra (with DLSS/FSR2 as well). If a card drops below 30 fps, I won't test it at the next step up.

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022
I played it first on open beta on my PS5 looked great and played smoothly. Played the Server Slam on my 1500X and Quadro card; got easily 80 FPS 🔐 with FSR 2.1 at 1080p balanced setting.

@JarredWaltonGPU this new pattern of testing big releases immediately is great, please keep doing them.

torka

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Its a shame it doesnt work very well without a constant internet connection. Considering its a single player game with a few multiplayer enhancements.

1_rick

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2014
I ran the Server Slam on an i5-1235U mini PC at 1080p, with FSR rendering at 720p, and the graphics turned down to medium. It wasn't the flashiest experience, obviously, but the game ran acceptably smoothly. I don't recall much, if any, stuttering, for example.

Jun 1, 2023
I've got just about every GPU available from the past ~decade. Okay, some of the older generation are definitely missing (I only have 670 and 650 Ti Boost, and the 780 is my sole 700-series GPU). But from GTX 970 and above on Nvidia, and AMD RX 550 and above, I probably have it. If you really want to see a benchmark run on GTX 670, I can accommodate that. Just... pitch it in the comments, and I'll be going through and picking out the top voted responses.

My initial plan is to test in roughly this order for current GPUs:

RTX 4090
RTX 4070 Ti
RTX 4060 Ti
RX 7900 XTX
RX 6900 XT
RX 7600
[Post initial charts]

RTX 4080
RTX 4070
RX 7900 XT
RX 6950 XT
[Update charts]

RTX 3090
RTX 3080
RTX 3070
RTX 3060
RTX 3050
[Update charts]

RX 6950 XT
RX 6800 XT
RX 6700 XT
RX 6600 XT
RX 6600
RX 6500 XT
[Update charts]

Arc A770 16GB
Arc A750
Arc A380
[Update charts]

There are reasons to start with newer cards (ecomm, SEO, etc.) But once those are out of the way, I can go back and start hitting other GPUs that people want to see tested, or if I don't have the exact GPU, something from a similar generation. Also note that I'm grouping AMD, Intel, and Nvidia GPUs together where possible, because then I don't have to worry about cleaning out drivers between every GPU swap. So I can test all the 30-series in one sweep before doing DDU and then switching to AMD 6000-series. More or less.

Further updates will depend on how much traffic this generates. Meaning, if nobody is reading, I maybe stop after the above and call it a day. If lots of people are reading and requesting additional GPUs to be tested, I may stay up late and run those benchmarks as well.

GPUs will be tested where it makes sense. What that means is I start at 1080p medium (or if it's a really low-end GPU, 720p/1080p low). Then I move to 1080p ultra, 1440p ultra, and 4K ultra (with DLSS/FSR2 as well). If a card drops below 30 fps, I won't test it at the next step up.
I actually did the testing with the exact recommended settings (which is now medium settings)

View: https://youtu.be/dKM1vVuAf3I

Also did the testing with minimum requirement with the exact hardware.

View: https://youtu.be/QgUWw2UOkaU

You're welcome

Reactions: adbatista

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
I'm assuming the ultra settings on 4K are without Ray Tracing? Seems like a 3080/6800 XT would be too under powered if it did or the game isn't that graphically taxing.

Jun 1, 2023
I played all the beta's on an old but gold pc still in daily use. Here's the specs:

CPU: Intel i7 3960x clocked to 4.2GHz.

MB: Asus Sabertooth X79 (M.2 SSD support via modded BIOS and adapter)

RAM: 32Gb

SSD: Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB

Graphics: Asus TUF RTX 3060 OC Set to OC in Asus GPU Tweaker.

Averaged 80 FPS in 4k on High settings. DLSS on. But boy is that graphic card hot! 75-80 centigrade. All VRAM is used and not all cutscenes is limited to 30FPS as You can check in graphics option! So watch the temp guys!

Last edited:

JarredWaltonGPU

Senior GPU Editor
Editor
I actually did the testing with the exact recommended settings (which is now medium settings)

View: https://youtu.be/dKM1vVuAf3I

Also did the testing with minimum requirement with the exact hardware.

View: https://youtu.be/QgUWw2UOkaU

You're welcome
Cheers, though an actual benchmark would have vsync off, run the same path each time, log frametimes, and give us more details than "yes, it's hitting 60 fps." Looks like going from low to medium is enough to exceed the VRAM on the GTX 660 you were using. But which model was that? Funny that Blizzard doesn't specify VRAM capacity.

GTX 660 was a weird duck, with a 192-bit interface, but it could be configured with 1.5GB, 2GB, or 3GB of memory. The 1.5GB and 3GB versions used symmetrical memory configurations (six 256MB chips or 512MB chips), while the 2GB card used four 256MB chips and two 512MB chips.

Anyway, 1.5GB would likely be the one you used, since it choked at 720p medium settings.

Reactions: Makaveli

tjb3506

Reputable
May 19, 2020
I’d like to see the Gtx 1080 at 1440p just because I’m trying to decide whether to buy it on pc or ps5.

JarredWaltonGPU

Senior GPU Editor
Editor
Okay, first benchmarks are done. I tossed my initial testing plans, because the 4090 and even 4060 Ti basically blew through the game without batting an eye. So I tested quite a few slower/older GPUs, including the slowest RTX 30-series, slowest RTX 20-series, the "most popular" GTX 1060, and for good measure the GTX 970, 780, and 670. Only the 670 really struggled and needed to use 720p Low settings, mostly because of its 2GB VRAM.

Up next: Intel Arc (there are only three worth testing). Then AMD. I'll do the 7900 XT and 7600, and from there I'll start going down the list and picking some older options.

When that's done, some time tomorrow (after I sleep), I'll see about fleshing out the upper range with some faster GPUs.

JarredWaltonGPU

Senior GPU Editor
Editor
@JarredWaltonGPU can you disable some cores to see what performance hit we will have. Some areas if that kind of game miss more cpu than gpu. Last time I have played diablo 3 my 1600 af struggle to pace with the rx 590.
I do have an i7-4770K system around somewhere. Not sure if it still runs, though! I may see about booting that up next week, but I doubt I'll have time to get it done before the weekend ... got a camping trip planned.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So AMD don't make GPU, according to charts :D

Curious when you need to swap from a 4 core CPU to 8 core CPU to keep playing, as the recommended don't mention 6 core CPU at all. But then they also jumped over 1440p which is what I play at.

Hmmm, according to adrenaline stats I was getting 13.2fps in D4. That doesn't match up with what I was seeing. I wouldn't have kept playing at that rate.

Guess with game freezing on almost every map transition - go in dungeon, wait... then the GPU avg fps is probably low. The low fps is the games fault, not my cards. I wonder if early access is just more server testing...

Afterburner reports differently
Rls7dgS.jpg

7900XT on a 3600xt

It may be able to run faster, I just don't need anymore than 144 as that is where monitor stops. I have radeon chill set to cap at 144.
load screens run at 30. So could be it.

New Adrenalin drivers today to add support for D4. Not sure what it did, before I installed them it couldn't see D4 at all, so that could be it.

Last edited: