Diablotek 7300 GT Install Problem

mixmaster4

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Hi All,

I am currently running a HP Pavilion a350n.

Pentium 4 / 2.80 GHz
ASUS Mobo, 865 PE Chipset
Windows XP SP3

Mostly a stock system, here are the other specs:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...542&lc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=371643&dlc=en

The only changes I have made is adding another gig of memory bringing the total to 1.5G and adding a 350W power supply.

I recently purchased a Diablotek 7300 GT, another link for you:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3855296&CatId=318

After pulling out my Geforce 4MX, I put this in and booted up. Windows located the new hardware and installed the drivers on the disc provided with the video card. Just as the drivers are finishing loading, the screen turns black and i only get a blinking cursor in the top left hand corner. I have also tried installing the drivers directly from Nvidia with similar results.

After a few seconds, the system reboots normally until the windows splash screen fades. At this point the screen goes totally black again. On some reboots, I can see the windows install screen pop up very briefly (like under a second) then the screen goes black.

If I restart in safe mode, I can uninstall the Nvidia drivers, and then get back into windows normally with the 7300 gt showing up as an unidentified video controller.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Ask around, but I think a lot of the guys on here reccomend using a driver cleaner program, which should help take the old drivers completely out of the system. However, what happens if you install the drivers from safe mode?

mixmaster4

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Well, I went and ran driver cleaner pro in safe mode to remove all my Nvidia drivers. Then I tried installing the drivers in safe mode last night. The install went fine, but when I was prompted to reboot my computer, I ran into a black screen just after the windows splash screen went away.

I guess I'm gonna return the card and go with something new.

TRENDING THREADS