[SOLVED] Diagnose the problem - Dead card

Aug 23, 2020
Hello!

This weekend has been a nightmare for me, and after almost 3 days in a row, figuring out the problem seems that my new graphics card is dead.. from the factory. First, it's almost impossible to ask for warranty or an RMA, bought it in the US and I live outside US... long story short, I have no hope. So maybe I could sort out the problem and fix it. That's why I ask for help. I have watched a few videos on youtube that some times, fixing the problem is easy.... sometimes involves soldering, and sometimes... well.. maybe it's worth the effort

My build (all new out of the box), tested, and working fine. Long story short, why I think I can say the card is DOA (I can see what is happening because the motherboard also has video):

Problem: It is not recognized

-4 Fresh windows install (ISO and USB), version 2004 no further updates available
-Bios update to the last version
-Not detected on bios
-All drivers installed (The Intel graphics driver was uninstalled manually and with dedicated software)
-PSU tested and working
-All slots tested
and a big etc list.

For the full story you can read this thread (too long to write it here):
https://forums.evga.com/2080-SUPER-HYBRID-NOT-DETECTED-HELP-PLEASE-m3071042.aspx#3071124

What it does:
Plugged into the PCI it only works the fan of the radiator and the fan of the VRM. The led of the "EVGA Hybrid" does not turn on.
In the case of the Bios under PEG port configuration, PCIE16_1 shows "not detected" -> when a card is connected it shows X16.
I have tried 2 different PC and cards, all the other cards work on my computer, but my card does not work on the other's

Considering the big chance that I have lost my hard-earned money, I would like to know if there is a way to fix it? (There are no EVGA service center here).

All ideas and comments are welcome! Everything helps

Thanks!!!
P.S Excuse me for my bad English is not my native language

Solution
Your other thread seems to cover all the basic troubleshooting.

Soldering is not a great option if you don't know what is wrong with the card. Not a whole lot you can fix these days without specialized equipment that will cost a significant portion of the card's cost.

If something was visibly missing, maybe, and you could track down an equivalent part. But more likely something more drastic has failed like the GPU, possibly cooler was mismounted and cracked the die, or damaged in transport.

With no warranty and nothing to lose, you might try dismounting and remounting the cooler. Could just be board flex causing an intermittent problem, or a short from some metal debris (though that might have caused the damage in the first place)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Soldering is not a great option if you don't know what is wrong with the card. Not a whole lot you can fix these days without specialized equipment that will cost a significant portion of the card's cost.

If something was visibly missing, maybe, and you could track down an equivalent part. But more likely something more drastic has failed like the GPU, possibly cooler was mismounted and cracked the die, or damaged in transport.

With no warranty and nothing to lose, you might try dismounting and remounting the cooler. Could just be board flex causing an intermittent problem, or a short from some metal debris (though that might have caused the damage in the first place)

Reactions: RoloFuentes
Solution
Aug 23, 2020

Thanks!

Most of the youtube fixes involve "the oven" solution, which is clearly not this case because the card is brand new out of a sealed box.

I think you are right, this is a manufacturing process failure, it's a major one, maybe a broken chip.

I'm waiting for the answer of EVGA and the store that I bought the card.

My problem is how do I make the card arrive there... it's going to be a major problem the shipping there... and really expensive (yes, the rates here are an abuse), and maybe for receiving it, the store should pay taxes.... its a nightmare.

I have just finished building a new rig for my sim (worked on it for about 2 months), it should be very immersive and with a lot of feedback... I sold all my other computer stuff to buy this new one. So no chance to try everything

I know much worse things can happen in life and I have a great life, I'm very grateful, but right now I feel frustrated, disappointed, and depressed...