Question Diagnosing a potential PCU or MOBO failure

JasmineMJ

Honorable
Jan 14, 2017
I was on my computer a few days ago when it simply died. When I tried to turn it back on the fans would spin for a few seconds and the lights would come on before shutting down.

At first I thought it was a psu issue so I replaced that but it did not help. Then I went through unplugging each component from the mobo. With the cpu unplugged the system would run for longer, before flashing on the mobo on CPU before shutting down and restarting again. As the pc powered on for longer and restarted without the CPU connected, my next thought was that it is either a heating issue with the cpu, the cpu itself or the mobo. I replaced the thermal paste on the cpu, but it did nothing. I then replaced the nzxt kraken pump I was using with another, again nothing.

Is there any way for me to tell if the issue is cpu or mobo related without me having a replacement mobo or cpu to test with? Thank you in advance.

Components:

GPU: Gtx 1080ti
CPU: Intel I7 8700k
Ram: 16gb Corsair (2 x8gb)
Mobo: Gigabyte z370 aorus gaming ultra wifi
PSU: Corsair TX850M 850w

Last edited:

JasmineMJ

Honorable
Jan 14, 2017
I was on my computer a few days ago when it simply died. When I tried to turn it back on the fans would spin for a few seconds and the lights would come on before shutting down.

At first I thought it was a psu issue so I replaced that but it did not help. Then I went through unplugging each component from the mobo. With the cpu unplugged the system would run for longer, before flashing on the mobo on CPU before shutting down and restarting again. As the pc powered on for longer and restarted without the CPU connected, my next thought was that it is either a heating issue with the cpu, the cpu itself or the mobo. I replaced the thermal paste on the cpu, but it did nothing. I then replaced the nzxt kraken pump I was using with another, again nothing.

Is there any way for me to tell if the issue is cpu or mobo related without me having a replacement mobo or cpu to test with? Thank you in advance.

Components:

GPU: Gtx 1080ti
CPU: Intel I7 8700k
Ram: 16gb Corsair (2 x8gb)
Mobo: Gigabyte z370 aorus gaming ultra wifi
PSU: Corsair TX850M 850w

Worth noting the PC is a good 4-5 years old, and I had not changed any components or messed with it in any way prior to this incident happening.