[SOLVED] Diagnosing a problem with screen shutting off for a second

lokikoli5

Commendable
Oct 10, 2018
Hello everyone,

In the past , i would like to say few weeks , but honestly im not that sure when it started , my monitor would randomly shut off (not power , but lose input video) for a second and come back on. I blamed this on my HDMI cable sitting loosely in the monitor port ; today however when playing Realm of the Mad God (doesn't have to do anything with the game , the problem would happen in other's occasionally) , i saw the problem and adjusted the cable so that i know for sure next time it happened that's not it, and a few minutes later i got another flash of black and my keyboard and mouse LEDs shut off. So , basically a straight reboot of the PC , now i am in damage control you could say , i checked MalwareBytes just in case (clean) , i was monitoring temperatures these past few weeks too and everything is normal , i even ran RDR2 in the past week and to my knowledge the problem did not occur at all (the black screen) but this crash alarmed me very much , which is why im posting here to get some opinions on the matter. Hard Disk Sentinel reports 100% health , and i assume CPU and RAM are fine too otherwise i would be having worse problems these past few weeks.

First i thought of looking at Event Viewer and i noticed i got a Critical Kernel Power error , following that a bunch of other Kernel power events (i assume around the time of the crash , i was not keeping track) and upon investigating the issue (Which i decided a good lead would be this event : Connectivity state in standby: Disconnected, Reason: NIC compliance , this is only one of the Kernel Power informational events following the Critical one) a bit in google , found that for other's it may have meant their PSU's are bad. However as i said i have run harder games that are more taxing than Rotmg (+ Brave Browser i had open at the time) and did not crash (yet)..

So my question is this , what do you think could be the problem? I will be monitoring everything these next few days , edit this post if i notice anything particularly (such as which programs could be running when the issue happens) and back up everything that's important for now because i don't know when i might be greeted with a non functional PC next hahaha.

Here is my Speccy snapshot.

EDIT: So far (around 5 hours after) , i have been only browsing and using Discord but i have not had any problems with the screen shutting down or crashes.. (Time will tell..) I don't know what to say but i will take this as a warning sign the power supply will give out in the next few months. Still looking to hear other's opinions though!

EDIT 2: It seems the cable i was adjusting the whole time was Power (I messed up) , but the monitor power LED stays on when the "blackout" happens , so there is definitely something up with either the Graphic card or PSU ,sometimes it's the loose power cable in the port maybe.. ; didn't crash yet so far but it did flicker to black for a second once while playing. Going to monitor my actions and relay here if i notice any more.

Last edited:
Solution
With my old monitor I did have similar problem. Very seldom it simply became black. After switching off/on all was OK again.

Because I wanted a bigger monitor, I bought a new one, and no further problems with it although using same cables.

That means for me: somehow old monitor was a little bit buggy, perhaps the lcd-screen itsself, or the power-supply of the monitor, or ....??? - I do not know).

lokikoli5

Commendable
Oct 10, 2018
brand and model of the psu?
Rhino RX 550-PA , this was a prebuilt system bought i think close to 2 years ago from my local retailer with 8GB RAM , i bought an additional stick of 8GB for 16GB total. (And a new Motherboard because of my first issue with the original RAM stick that was in the system , this was in the past so not that relevant to current problem).

alexbirdie

Respectable
With my old monitor I did have similar problem. Very seldom it simply became black. After switching off/on all was OK again.

Because I wanted a bigger monitor, I bought a new one, and no further problems with it although using same cables.

That means for me: somehow old monitor was a little bit buggy, perhaps the lcd-screen itsself, or the power-supply of the monitor, or ....??? - I do not know).

Solution