Diagnosing ASRock A780GXE/128M

dillius

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Recently started to put together a server I plan to use mainly for FTP and perhaps web hosting. It is using mostly cheap low performance parts. However, I've run into a bit of a snag trying to get the machine running.

ASRock A780GXE/128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon X2 BE-2300 Brisbane 1.9GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor Model ADH2300DOBOX
Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory Model KVR667D2N5/1G
2x Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS30
Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V Power Supply
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Some random D-Link PCI wireless card I had sitting around

Currently, it will power on, but there is never any kind of video or audio output. I have the onboard video connecting through a VGA cable to a small television (Which I have been doing up until this point with another machine), and it will show no signal then simply idle out and turn off the screen. There is no sound coming from either the front nor rear audio ports.

I do not receive post beeps either as the case does not have an internal speaker and the motherboard does not have a built in one (I am working on getting one so I can hear the POST beeps), which means right now I'm kind of grasping at straws.

This is also the first machine I've ever built that uses a SATA driven CD Drive, so I'm not sure what to expect with this.

I have tried booting it with nearly every combination of optional items connected/not connected. Tonight I am going to try RAM that I know is functional from another machine, but I do not have an alternative processor to work on. If I have time I am going to try to re-seat the processor (simply not too concerned with it because compared to the Intels I typically install, this things heat sink was overly simple). I have also cleared the CMOS multiple times.

Without being able to hear the POST beeps I am at a loss as to how to proceed. It seems to make the typical start-up noises I come to expect, the hard drives spin up, the disc drive is responsive, lights appear on the LAN connection and the wireless card, all fans run. It simply gives me no output, I never see BIOS, and it just remains on.

Does anyone know another method I could use to diagnose the system until I am able to get a chassis speaker? Or maybe has an idea of something I haven't tried yet? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dillius

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
To update:

Status still nothing showing, nothing really happening except the power coming on. No visual, no sound.

Found an old speaker to hook up to the chassis speaker, hearing no post beeps whatsoever.

Switched in RAM I know that works, no change

Inserted a PCI-E video card from another machine I know works, no change

Reinstalled motherboard in case with 2 more grounding coppers/screws that I had missed before. No change.

Reinstalled processor. No change

Unlug ODD/HDDs and just do a simple basic POST test just with the RAM, CPU and integrated video. Check that your 24/20 pin and 4/8 pin connectors from PSU to mobo is secured. I assume this small tv is a LCD monitor? Try using VGA and DVI ports off the mobo IGP and see if it gives you a positive POST test? After that work with just that SATA ODD and 1HDD and install OS (suggest you dun RAID if not familiar) Also tyr to clear CMOS by resetting jumpers on your mobo - check the manual on how this could be done

dillius

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008

Even with no ODD/HDD, there is no post. With no RAM, no Post. I have not tried it with no processor, but I have a feeling.

I have tried the 20/24 as both 20 or 24 (the additional four are optional with this power supply), I have only 4 pin for the 4/8 pin. I have reconnected both multiple times, and I have ensured they are firmly secured. Nothing.

I have tried to the TV: VGA to VGA, as well as DVI to HDMI, both of which I have done with another machine within the last week. Nothing.

I have cleared CMOS many, many times.

Still no luck so far. Probably going to have to return the processor and motherboard. The RAM was so cheap I'm not concerned, and I have another set I know works I can test with.

Anyone else have any ideas? It was suggested to me that the Motherboard could be shorting against the case, but if that were happening it would lose power, not remain on, wouldn't it?

maddhatter

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009

Have you had any luck with this? I am having the exact same problem and I'm going nuts trying to correct it.

dillius

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008

I actually ended up replacing both the motherboard and the CPU. I'm not sure which was at fault, but the second set worked instantly.

The only thing i noticed immediately was that the new CPU had a 4th wire on it's fan cable (blue). I know little to nothing about electrical engineering, so that may be an unused line anyway.

I can't be sure of which was at fault, since I had no other CPU's to test and had to get them both RMA'd at once.