[SOLVED] Diagnosing damage after a power surge

pasty717

Reputable
May 6, 2018
I just had a power surge in the last day or so and its prety clear that my PC has taken some damage and I was hopeing that someone might be able to help diagnose it so i know what would need to be replaced or if there are some fixes that i could do myself.

I run i5-2500k -CPU
GA-Z68AP-D3 -MB
GTX 1050TI -GPU
DD3 ram 1400Hz
2T HHD
I cant find the purches history for my PSU but i know its 600w but no clue the rating ( i think gold but i cant fully remeber)

The most obviouse issues ive noticed so far are noticable crackling over audio (not headphones ive checked them independently). My CPU is constantly oscillating between 5-60% load on idle. Starting a game in CSGO has managed to cap out my HHD to its max according to Manager. I havent noticed any majore impact on the GPU.

Is it possible that this is just my MB that has been damaged or would i need to consider replacing the CPU too?

Appreciate any help, Seb

EDIT: to expand on the audio, the PC feel noticble slower in high load (CSGO match) and is beeing matched by the audio, there still is the crackling in the backround also.

Last edited:
Solution
Open up your side panel(s) for the case and physically inspect the stickered side of the PSU to see what the make and model of the unit is. Also, how old is the PSU? Chances are you might need to replace everything considering that power surge's can and will take out more than your PSU, if the PSU was sub par in quality then the surge will take out the board and practically anything that's attached to it, it happened to me about 2 decades ago.

You might want to tear down the entire system and inspect each square inch of the motherboard and parts for any signs of burns or scorch marks and a faint burnt smell. Corroborate the two findings and perhaps you should be able to isolate the afflicted part that might be impeding your system from...

Lutfij

Titan
Open up your side panel(s) for the case and physically inspect the stickered side of the PSU to see what the make and model of the unit is. Also, how old is the PSU? Chances are you might need to replace everything considering that power surge's can and will take out more than your PSU, if the PSU was sub par in quality then the surge will take out the board and practically anything that's attached to it, it happened to me about 2 decades ago.

You might want to tear down the entire system and inspect each square inch of the motherboard and parts for any signs of burns or scorch marks and a faint burnt smell. Corroborate the two findings and perhaps you should be able to isolate the afflicted part that might be impeding your system from booting/power up but I'd be treading lightly with the sort of task you need to do. Why? Since trying to source replacement parts(and the sort of resources) you're going to spend might cause you to spend almost as much as buying a lower powered, higher IPC, concurrent spec'd system.

FYI,. when I had the same issue as you, my system as fine the day after but over the course of 3 years all the parts ended up dead, the amount of money I spent trying to replace each art made me realize I could've gone for a new system altogether. Hence from experience, I tend to shy away from a full system overhaul when a client is afflicted with a surge.

Solution