Mar 1, 2019
Case: Define R6 USB-C
PSU: Corsair TX650M
Ram: Vengeance LPX
CPU: 9700k
Board: Asus z-390-e
GPU: XFX RX480
Cooler: Noctua NH D15

This build is new except the PSU (6 months old or so) and the GPU (2-3 years old)
Since I put this together I have had semi-random crashes where the screens turn off, sound either stops or a buzzing noise comes from speakers, and the pc either hangs or restarts. What im doing at the time is never consistent, which is preventing me from figuring this out. Some of the crashes seems to be PSU, some GPU. This has happened:
  • While gaming, usually after playing 1-2 hours but once right upon load.
  • While watching a video in VLC
  • When touching the front USB panel with a plug. Not inserting, touching.

And then last night I was holding a USB controller and petting my cat, twice I got a small static electricity shock from my cat and the PC crashed.

Its beyond unlikely that 2 such events back to back are coincidence right? Its worth noting I had the same tower, earlier model in my last build and it also had the problem of front usb port crashes so I cant consider those conclusive of anything. Never crashes when plugging into back ports.

Right now where I live it is very dry and cold, leading to a lot of static buildup. Is there any way that could cause all of these issues? I bought a new desk with this computer, and its just a cheap one with press board top and metal frame. My cats sleep on my desk, and there is a blanket down for them. The tower also touches the desk leg and both are metal. Might this be the issue or am I crazy?

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019
I guess I will try a different outlet, and to move my cables away from the metal frame of my desk. These issues are so inconsistent Im stumped what to try here.