Question Diagnosing faulty hardware/ need help

Sep 17, 2024
I recently swapped my friends build to a new PC case and upgraded his fans right before I swapped it. Everything was working fine. Once I transferred everything over it refused to post monitor will not turn on. I tried changing out display ports and HDMI cables. I tried them in different sockets as well. I tried changing the ramp position. I also even tried singular ram. I cleared CMOS as well. So I ended up putting my CPU from my working build in his motherboard and it wouldn’t post so I thought it was his motherboard then so then I tried putting. His CPU in my system and now my system didn’t post so it led me to think it’s a bad CPU but then again why is my CPU not posting in his system so now I’m thinking it’s a bad motherboard. I really need some brain power help cause I can’t really come to a conclusion

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Are you sure that all the standoffs are in the correct position? None of them touching the back of the motherboard? Make sure no metal shavings were present that could be shorting something out?

Does the system show any sign of life? Can you confirm the power supply is working?

Might be worth taking the hardware out of the case and putting together on top of mobo box to see if you can get anything.

What are the complete specs of the build(s) in question?

Sep 17, 2024
Are you sure that all the standoffs are in the correct position? None of them touching the back of the motherboard? Make sure no metal shavings were present that could be shorting something out?

Does the system show any sign of life? Can you confirm the power supply is working?

Might be worth taking the hardware out of the case and putting together on top of mobo box to see if you can get anything.

What are the complete specs of the build(s) in question?
The system definitely shows signs of life. All the RGB is on all the fans are spinning. I hear the AIO pump water moving ram rgb is on as well as the motherboard rgb.

The complete spec of the build is a AMD Ryzen seven 5800 X. The motherboard is a MSI B550 I have two sticks of Corsair vengeance and a rtx 3080

I double checked the standoff before I even put the motherboard in everything lined up perfectly and beautifully honestly

Sep 17, 2024
The system definitely shows signs of life. All the RGB is on all the fans are spinning. I hear the AIO pump water moving ram rgb is on as well as the motherboard rgb.

The complete spec of the build is a AMD Ryzen seven 5800 X. The motherboard is a MSI B550 I have two sticks of Corsair vengeance and a rtx 3080

I double checked the standoff before I even put the motherboard in everything lined up perfectly and beautifully honestly
I also don’t have a voltage tester to test the power supply and I don’t have a spare one I could use for this system