I'm looking for some ideas on how to diagnose a problem i'm having with XP
simply freezing up completly and forcing a power-off restart.

If i look in the event logs, I do see an error, but after the last reboot I
cleared the log and examined again after the latest freeze (3 hours after
the clearing). My only issue is that the error actually seems to happen on
the restart, and not during the freeze. I'll post the error below.
Now this appears once after 2 information messages from the source eventlog
which i'm assuming means the log starting from the reboot. The same error
repeats about 4 times within about 2 minutes of the first instance.
So as i said, i'm assuming the 2 eventlog items are the startup point. The
only previous messages to that happen about 3 hours earlier and are only
informational. Plus I know that the freeze happened after about 3 hours
because i was checking every 10 minutes or so.
This freezing started a few days ago, nothing in particular running at the
time, actually it mostly seems to happen when the monitor goes into sleep
mode, (i have it set to power off the monitor after 30 mins, but not the
hard drive or anything else)

The error:
Source: DCOM
Event ID: 10020

The machine wide Default Launch and Activation security descriptor is
invalid. It contains Access Control Entries with permissions that are
invalid. The requested action was therefore not performed. This security
permission can be corrected using the Component Services administrative
tool.

Any other questions let me know. Or any suggestions for how I can
possible get more information about whats going on.

thanks.

You have some corrupt, or incompatible driver for some device.

--
Mark L. Ferguson

"Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in news:O962
$1aqFHA.3516@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:

> You have some corrupt, or incompatible driver for some device.

well i think i fixed the freezes.. it wasn't that dcom error that was
causing it. Had something to do with either the last windows update or the
norton anti-virus update I got. I used a restore point from last week and
its back to normal after freezing about 5 times in 24 hours. And the dcom
error is still there.. so that one I'm not sure how to fix.