[SOLVED] Diagnosing reason for shutdown. CPU or Motherboard.

Manzonnie

Prominent
Aug 26, 2019
System:

FX-4130 Black Edition

RX 580

Corsair vs650

8gb Ram Corsair

Gigabyte Motherboard GA-78lmt3.0 Rev 6.0

I was slowly overclocking my cpu when I got 4104 ghz my system just restarted. The temps were 30 C on the cpu and 47 C on the gpu. At the time I was 5 minutes into a OCCT stress/stability test and was monitoring my temps. Was just wondering with this information is it more likely my cpu or my motherboard. I have about $200 to spend and was going to do another upgrade this week. Last week I upgraded my PSU and even though some of you didn't talk highly of the vs650 Corsair so far it has been great very quiet and has handled all my power needs. I do appreciate any information you can give with this problem. If you need more information just ask and I will be monitoring this post and will get the information quickly if I can. again thx.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Last week I upgraded my PSU and even though some of you didn't talk highly of the vs650 Corsair so far it has been great very quiet and has handled all my power needs.
Well I think there may be a misunderstanding. No one would dispute the VS will power it correctly, and yes it can be quiet, the problem is the quality, and the VS are a budget series that aren't really made for heavier load / gaming systems, because they're budget. That and many of us on the forums have had plenty of experience with the VS series causing instabiltiy over time and damage (albeit the newer ones are better). There is no doubt it would work to begin with, just we would question just how long it would last or how stable it would be over time.

There's a reason why budget PSUs are budget, that's all.

The PSU could well be the very reason for the shutdown, as it might not be able to handle the OC, ultimately though, it could be CPU or MB, the CPU could just be unstable, as no CPu overclocks the same, equally the MB may not be able to regulate the new voltage very well.

Overall could just be an unstable OC.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

Manzonnie

Prominent
Aug 26, 2019
I have ran test on the psu and they all came back good. I ran a power supply GPU test using OCCT and it ran for over 10 mins at 145+ fps and no errors just my GPU which is a rx 580 was getting close to 90 degrees so I aborted the test didn't want it to get to hot. The power supply never got loud or showed any fluctuation in output. A little more information my motherboard and cpu were unused for almost a year and were not in a temperature controlled room so was thinking the transistors on the motherboard maybe my problem was just wanting another opinion before I threw more money at the problem. I do want to upgrade my cpu and mobo in the near future and was considering a fx 8320e or 8370e and a new micro atx mobo or a Ryzen 3 3200 and of course a new am4 mobo. Which would you think would be better?

i

Manzonnie

Prominent
Aug 26, 2019
Well I think there may be a misunderstanding. No one would dispute the VS will power it correctly, and yes it can be quiet, the problem is the quality, and the VS are a budget series that aren't really made for heavier load / gaming systems, because they're budget. That and many of us on the forums have had plenty of experience with the VS series causing instabiltiy over time and damage (albeit the newer ones are better). There is no doubt it would work to begin with, just we would question just how long it would last or how stable it would be over time.

There's a reason why budget PSUs are budget, that's all.

The PSU could well be the very reason for the shutdown, as it might not be able to handle the OC, ultimately though, it could be CPU or MB, the CPU could just be unstable, as no CPu overclocks the same, equally the MB may not be able to regulate the new voltage very well.

Overall could just be an unstable OC.
Was just saying for anyone out there looking for a quick cheap upgrade for a psu if you arent looking for long term and just need something to get your system running till you can spend some real money the vs650 isnt a bad short term investment. alot of people are like me and don't have money for expansive upgrades at the time they need a new part and may have to go with budget to get you buy till you can spend the big bucks. The vs650 seems to be enough quality to keep you playing till later.

Was just saying for anyone out there looking for a quick cheap upgrade for a psu if you arent looking for long term and just need something to get your system running till you can spend some real money the vs650 isnt a bad short term investment. alot of people are like me and don't have money for expansive upgrades at the time they need a new part and may have to go with budget to get you buy till you can spend the big bucks. The vs650 seems to be enough quality to keep you playing till later.
Or you could spend $10 more and buy a much, much better corsair CX.

Reactions: captaincharisma

Manzonnie

Prominent
Aug 26, 2019
See i got my vs650 for $34 new on amazon with free shipping was the reason I bought it. Closest Corsqair CX was around $69. 00 new and $30.00 used but then after shipping was about same as new cost.

I have ran test on the psu and they all came back good. I ran a power supply GPU test using OCCT and it ran for over 10 mins at 145+ fps and no errors just my GPU which is a rx 580 was getting close to 90 degrees so I aborted the test didn't want it to get to hot. The power supply never got loud or showed any fluctuation in output. A little more information my motherboard and cpu were unused for almost a year and were not in a temperature controlled room so was thinking the transistors on the motherboard maybe my problem was just wanting another opinion before I threw more money at the problem. I do want to upgrade my cpu and mobo in the near future and was considering a fx 8320e or 8370e and a new micro atx mobo or a Ryzen 3 3200 and of course a new am4 mobo. Which would you think would be better?

i

Ryzen. Any money put into am3+ is wasted money.

Reactions: captaincharisma

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I agree, it does have to withhold a standard and at least Corsair will maintain a minimum standard, just unfortunately people often prioritise spending a lot on their CPU, GPU and MB, when it reality, the PSU should be top of the list.

Agreed it's fine for the time being, just the last thing we'd all want is for you to buy new components for a poor PSU to wipe them all out as commonly happens.

And absolutely agreed, at this point, upgrading to a new platform is best.

Manzonnie

Prominent
Aug 26, 2019
We are getting off subject was really looking for some input on a possible processor+mobo upgrade that won't break my wallet. So many option not sure what the best bang for the buck would be. Since doesn't seem to be a clear answer on whether it's a cpu or mobo problem best to just replace them both.

We are getting off subject was really looking for some input on a possible processor+mobo upgrade that won't break my wallet. So many option not sure what the best bang for the buck would be. Since doesn't seem to be a clear answer on whether it's a cpu or mobo problem best to just replace them both.
Well, a 4130 will cause issues in modern games, so you should replace it.

Remember, a new mobo will require DDR4 aswell.

Whats your budget?

Manzonnie

Prominent
Aug 26, 2019
What would be a good mobo + cpu upgrade only limitation is i have a matx form case? I have about $250 to spend atm. not sure Ryazen 5 ryzen 3 and motherboards all of them look great on paper but real world use is a different story. Please give me your input.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor | $119.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | ASRock B450M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $69.46 @ OutletPC
Memory | GeIL EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory | $59.99 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $269.44
| Mail-in rebates | -$20.00
| Total | $249.44
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-04 15:47 EDT-0400 |

2600 will run circles around ANY 8 core FX. The Ryzen 5 2600 comes with a decentish cooler aswell.

The motherboard included isnt anything fancy, but it is M-ATX and supports overclocking and the R5 2600. Also, this board will leave upgrade options aswell.

The new ram is required for a ryzen CPU. Nothing fancy here either, but its pretty fast and comes with a decent heat spreader.

Manzonnie

Prominent
Aug 26, 2019
I know you say Ryzen but the fx-8350 or 8370 look pretty good on paper. In about 6 months i'm going to replace my whole system just looking for something to get me by till then.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I know you say Ryzen but the fx-8350 or 8370 look pretty good on paper. In about 6 months i'm going to replace my whole system just looking for something to get me by till then.
Yes problem is it's only on paper, thing is the new Ryzen's can be picked up for not much, and will be much better value than upgrading an AM3+. So it's just that a temp update wouldn't seem economical, but that's just my view.

The new Ryzen outperforms the FX on every level, faster Single core, multi core, efficiency, performance generally.

Manzonnie

Prominent
Aug 26, 2019
Yes problem is it's only on paper, thing is the new Ryzen's can be picked up for not much, and will be much better value than upgrading an AM3+. So it's just that a temp update wouldn't seem economical, but that's just my view.

The new Ryzen outperforms the FX on every level, faster Single core, multi core, efficiency, performance generally.
Thanks this is the information I need.

Thanks remixislandmusic thats right in my budget. The motherboard is that a Good one?
The motherboard is adequate for your system. It will support overclocking as well as future processors.
I know you say Ryzen but the fx-8350 or 8370 look pretty good on paper. In about 6 months I'm going to replace my whole system just looking for something to get me by till then.
FX looks good on paper, but they are not even close in performance to Ryzen.

FX is old and lack in all-around performance.

Single-core performance is rather lacking. Overclocking will help, but even still there is major stuttering issues in modern games.

The 8xxx aren't true 8 cores either, so multi-core performance is lacking aswell:
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...ertising-class-action-lawsuit-bulldozer-chips

Last edited:

Manzonnie

Prominent
Aug 26, 2019
also I have another question I do have an fx 8320 processor that I've tried to use in that motherboard when I put it in my computer I reset the CMOS and when I turn my computer on the computer comes on but it doesn't post I have heard that if the process was bad it won't even turn on with the 8320e in there and when I change the back to my 4130 I had to turn the computer off and on for five times for it to post it would just give me a no signal to the monitor any thoughts on that

Underclock the CPU by 100 MHz and see if stability returns when running prime95. You might also have a load line voltage droop. (Load line calibration) When the CPU pulls a lot of current it will cause the voltage level to drop. To compensate there's a parameter called load line calibration which will crank the input voltage a little when the power load increases. This offset can cause the processor to run hotter or over spec. So use it judiciously.

it's kind of funny that you put that in the post the FX 4130 also claims to be a quad processor but it only has 2 cores
Well, its not exactly that simple.

The 4130 is not really a 4 core like Intels, however, it is not really a 2 core either.

I am completely underqualified to explain this, but I'll try.

While a 4130 has 4 cores, the cores are split into modules. Each module contains a single floating-point unit (this processes mathematical equations) and L2 cache which is shared by 2 cores.
In most intel CPUs, each core has its own floating-point unit and cache which adds much more performance.

So If you go by a number of floating-point units, the FX4130 is a dual-core. If you look at the actual amount of cores, it is a quad-core.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgejkSWzvNs

Manzonnie

Prominent
Aug 26, 2019
Well, its not exactly that simple.

The 4130 is not really a 4 core like Intels, however, it is not really a 2 core either.

I am completely underqualified to explain this, but I'll try.

While a 4130 has 4 cores, the cores are split into modules. Each module contains a single floating-point unit (this processes mathematical equations) and L2 cache which is shared by 2 cores.
In most intel CPUs, each core has its own floating-point unit and cache which adds much more performance.

So If you go by a number of floating-point units, the FX4130 is a dual-core. If you look at the actual amount of cores, it is a quad-core.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgejkSWzvNs

Manzonnie

Prominent
Aug 26, 2019
When I go into Ms config and look at the number of cores in the drop-down box it only has two so that's just what I'm going by I'm not really into the science I'm doing good to understand what I know now learning something new might break me. in reference to the 8320 I have that I said wouldn't post but we'll come on is it true that it will not come on if the processor is bad or will it come on and not post because the guy that gave me the 8320 swears that works just wondering if maybe I'm doing something wrong I would hate to get rid of it and then come to find out it was something I was doing