[SOLVED] Diagnosing reason for shutdown. CPU or Motherboard.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Manzonnie

Prominent
Aug 26, 2019
System:

FX-4130 Black Edition

RX 580

Corsair vs650

8gb Ram Corsair

Gigabyte Motherboard GA-78lmt3.0 Rev 6.0

I was slowly overclocking my cpu when I got 4104 ghz my system just restarted. The temps were 30 C on the cpu and 47 C on the gpu. At the time I was 5 minutes into a OCCT stress/stability test and was monitoring my temps. Was just wondering with this information is it more likely my cpu or my motherboard. I have about $200 to spend and was going to do another upgrade this week. Last week I upgraded my PSU and even though some of you didn't talk highly of the vs650 Corsair so far it has been great very quiet and has handled all my power needs. I do appreciate any information you can give with this problem. If you need more information just ask and I will be monitoring this post and will get the information quickly if I can. again thx.

Manzonnie

Prominent
Aug 26, 2019
My system didn't come with a jumper and this mother board doesn't have a battery. Would it work if I use a screw driver to complete the circuit? And lastly how long to reset for this mother board I've found second hand information but nothing concrete some say 5sec some say 15secs. I'll try it tonight when I get home and I'll post the results 10 pm cst. Give or take a few minutes. Thanks for the info.

Manzonnie

Prominent
Aug 26, 2019
OK thanks for reminding me to reset my CMOS not completely sure it will fix my problem but it did identify something that needed fixed. Before I reset my cmos in cpu-z my multiplier was set to (7-21.5) which means if it went to 21.5 it would put my cpu at about 5.0mghz which is too high. After resetting my cmos my multiplier has returned to (7-19.5) and now i can get a much more consistent overclock. I'm going to do some slow overclocking tonight and I will post the results later tonight or tomorrow and maybe we can mark this as solved. Thanks again remember my name i will be asking for advice in the future as i constantly trying to upgrade. Also on a side note when I do get my upgraded processor I am going to take my old computer parts and build a computer for some kid that can't afford one and pass on the joy of computing. If you know some kid that might benefit from a second hand computer please send me a message. Thanks again.

Manzonnie

Prominent
Aug 26, 2019
ok i reset my cmos and all is good so far. I OC my computer to 4100mhz and ran a test then gamed for about 3 hours with no problems. Tomorrow going to go to 4.2mghz where if it is stable i will probably stop there. Thanks again for all your help. I guess this post is solved .