Diagnosing/solving boot issue with a newly installed, refurbished motherboard (Asus P8H67-M Pro)

Aug 5, 2018
Hi all,

Bit of a dilemma I've found myself if after a couple weeks of tinkering with upgrades on an old rig.

I recently decided to try upgrading some components on a factory-built Lenovo H520s desktop.

I replaced the PSU (new EVGA 600W; tested and working properly) and GPU (new Geforce GTX 1060). But upon discovering that the Lenovo factory mobos had zero BIOS updates (and thus wouldn't support my new GPU), I decided to purchase a refurbished mobo (the Asus P8H67-M Pro) on ebay, since my research had led me to believe that this mobo would: 1) be compatible with the GTX 1060, and 2) fit the Lenovo's CPU (i7 3770) and DDR3 Ram (2x4GB Samsung PC3-12800 DDR3-1600MHz).

After installing everything, I've run into a recurring booting issue. When powered on, the system starts up for ~1sec before shutting down and restarting. It'll then cycle on/off indefinitely until the power is cut. The system wont even POST, and I can't enter the BIOS.

I was worried about a bad mobo, PSU issues, CPU compatibility issues, etc. I disconnected everything from the mobo except the CPU and CPU fan, then powered on again. This time, the system remained on (w/ just a black screen, b/c no RAM installed). When I then plugged the RAM back in, the on/off cycling started again.

So my question is: Is this evidence for a singular problem (i.e., RAM is incompatible and thus not allowing startup)? Or could there still be multiple sources for this problem (e.g., still possibly a CPU or mobo issue)?

Research elsewhere has led me to think that either the mobo BIOS may not be updated (which may be preventing compatibility with my current RAM). Or I may just need different RAM (regardless of the mobo BIOS version). I've seen at least one other post with a related issue, where the user resolved the problem by ordering/installing a new, updated BIOS chip. But just wanted to make sure I'm diagnosing the problem correctly and not missing anything before purchasing additional parts.

Sorry for the length explanation, but thanks in advance for any and all help! Happy to provide other details/specs if helpful.

Solution

Board needs a bios update to support the ivybridge CPU. Old bios = sandy bridge chips only.

Aug 5, 2018

Thanks for the quick reply. I was afraid that might be the issue. Would an outdated bios (and thus incompatibility with the ivy bridge) lead to this problem when ram is plugged in? But then also not be present (i.e., computer stays on) when the ram is unplugged? It seemed like the ram was linked to the problem, but maybe that was a red herring?

Relatedly, any idea what the easiest method might be to update the BIOS? Purchase (from ebay?) an updated bios chip? Would a local repair shop potentially have spare sandy bridge CPUs lying around that could be temporarily inserted into my mobo in order to fire up the bios and update that way?

Buy one of these processors on ebay to update the bios. Preferably the G530, $6 with shipping.

FiPyD5z.png

Aug 5, 2018
Thanks a lot for the recommendation. I actually already ordered an updated bios chip for $14. Oh well. I'll consider this option too and see if I can get it working once the parts arrive this week.

Aug 5, 2018
Alright, interesting turn of events.

1) Received the updated BIOS chip and installed. System booted and got to POST, but kept getting a "usb device over current status detected" message, followed by an auto-shutdown after 15 seconds.

2) Put the original BIOS chip back in the machine. Ended up getting a used G530 CPU (as recommended), installed, and now the system boots into BIOS! Unfortunately, I'm now running into issues when trying to flash the BIOS to update in the BIOS UI, and I think I've discovered the problem...

It looks like this refurbished mobo I purchased is not a retail P8H67-M Pro, but in fact a P8H67-M Pro from an ASUS Essentio CM6650 pre-build. Aparently the CM6650-specific P8H67-M Pro uses a completely separate line of BIOS versions than the retail edition, and even the most updated version (#1601, currently installed on the one I have) doesn't support Ivy Bridge CPUs.

At this point, am I simply SOL? Been digging around trying to find out if there's any way to get the retail motherboard's BIOS onto my board, but no luck so far. I've contact the seller on ebay with a request for a refund but not holding out much hope. Guess it's a learning experience for future purchases if nothing else...

Well that was a complete 180. Essentio CM6650 bios is dated 2012/01/03 nor does it state a CPU microcode update. Meaning ivybridge will not work in that board. Manufacturers shouldn't have such similar boards for retail and prebuilt. Maybe pickup a cheap H77/Z77 mobo? I apologize for any inconvenience.

Solution
Aug 5, 2018

Thanks for the help all the same, and no worries! Definitely annoying re: the overlap between the retail and prebuilt, but your advice was really helpful (had the mobo been the model I thought it was). Crossing my fingers that the seller allows a return/exchange, but at this point I think I'll just bite the bullet and go for a full mobo/cpu upgrade.