Diagnosing sound glitches

nataliek2126

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
Ok ive been chasing down an issue and i cant figure out where it lies, the problem is sometimes the audio gets distortet for a split second its kind of annoying, ive googled and some people say its a windows 10 issue with nvidia and realtek drivers, so i disabled nvidia audio device disabled the on board audio device, and used an external sound card and still have the problem, so then i tried linux, if its a windows driver issue then it shouldnt happen in linux right? well it does, so i cant imagine it being a driver operating system issue. so now im going to start swaping out hardware, ive got an identical computer in the house the only differences is a different gtx 1060 version and the power supply is bigger on the other pc. so im going to start with swapping the gpu later today to see if that fuixes it, if its a incompatibility with audio drivers and gpu then that would fix, even tho i highly doubt its the gpu, im starting to lean towards motherbnoard, cpu, ram or hard drive. but gpu is easy to switch, then switching the ram, then the hard drives, then the processor last. but i wanted to get everyone elses opinion on what could cause the problem. heres the system spec of the pc thats having issues.

AMD Ryzen 1800x overclocked
asus b350m prime-a motherboard ( i know it was the only one available at the time, but i dont run sli so the b350 is fine)
EVGA Nvidia 1060 sc 6gb
Thermaltake Berlin 650 Watt psu
Samsung 960 Evo m.2 system drive
Samsung 850 evo Game drive
2 x 500 gb Western Digital sata hdd
G.Skill DIMM 32 GB DDR4-2666 Kit
Alphacool NexXxoS Cool Answer 240

well thats the pc, ill try and keep updates on my diagnosing progress, any ideas you all have would be great, thank you

Edit, well i switched all of the ram sticks, and still audio glitch, so i guess ill continue swapping hardware

edit. well today everything is swaped with the other pc, only pieces of hardware thats in this pc now are the hard drives, and i had an audio glitch, im using a samsung 960 evo 250gb m.2 ssd its brand new i didnt expect it to cause audio stutters

edit. well its not the hard drive, im guessing its the soundcard, having loudness equalization turned on, which i also turned on on a linux instalation, i reinstalled windows on a different hard drive and turned on loudness equaliozation and i still get the problems.

on two seperate motherboards of the same model with the same integrated sound card, why does loudness equalization cause problems? ive always ran integrated sound cards in every pc ive had, this is the first ive had a problem with loudness equalization, so could anyway please tell me why it causes a problem and why now?

nataliek2126

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
well its not the hard drive, im guessing its the soundcard, having loudness equalization turned on, which i also turned on on a linux instalation, i reinstalled windows on a different hard drive and turned on loudness equaliozation and i still get the problems.

on two seperate motherboards of the same model with the same integrated sound card, why does loudness equalization cause problems? ive always ran integrated sound cards in every pc ive had, this is the first ive had a problem with loudness equalization, so could anyway please tell me why it causes a problem and why now?