Diagnosis cause of black screen crash during gaming

TeaFan

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017
Hey all, I have been having an issue that seems to be somewhat common, but I cannot find the exact cause. During gameplay with the Witcher 3, my screen goes black and the system is unresponsive, but sound continues for another 10s before silence. This always requires a hard reboot to fix. I have played the game for about 20hrs and only recently experienced this issue. This has also happened last August while playing Overwatch, but was fixed by resetting the CMOS. Unfortunately that trick has not resolved my current issues.

The screen now goes black in other games, like Overwatch, and does not seem to be heat-related. I have installed new fans and my system maintains a respectable temperature (see below), and I have lowered my settings in game, but to no avail.

Based on the stats I have collected below, I am torn between diagnosing this as a MB, PSU, or RAM issue. Thoughts?

Specs:
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU: i5-3570K 3.40 GHz
GPU: GTX970 Strix
HDD: WD Black 2TB7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB WD2003FZEX
RAM: 12Gb (8Gb stick and 4 Gb stick)
PSU: Corsair TX750
MB: ASRock z77 Extreme 4
Monitor: Hannspree HF series HF235DPB LCD, Acer G257HU 1440p
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Black Steel

Diagnostics:
-Max temperature before black screen: GPU = 54C, CPU = 67C. No abnormal spikes in activity or temperature before black screen
-Memtest: issues with Test 13 Hammer Test (when checked 6mo ago)
-Ram usage was marked at 7223Mb throughout testing with Witcher 3. 4Gb are dedicated to cached memory.
-Screen black out occurs in game with both monitors when used individually

Observations:
-When issues occur, GPU and PSU are warm, but not hot to the touch.
-~20% of the time computer will not restart. When this occurs, system light fades on and off, and GPU light near power cord is on. When power is removed, GPU light fades and system can be rebooted.
-CMOS resetting did not fix this issue this time.
-2 PCI slots appear to not work on my motherboard.

Solution
Need to test with a different video card, or test yours in another system, same thing for the power supply. Try with one RAM stick at a time also.

TeaFan

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017
It appears to have been the power supply! I got a new one, and everything seems to be stable, which is great new. Thanks for your suggestion!