Dial up - error 50: The request is not supported

hello,
Ok, particulars.

WinXP SP1, P750, 512RAM BCM Motherboard, USR Performance Pro Modem 56K.

Brand new modem. Install, Modem Diagnostics fine. Installed w/o problem.

Dial service provider.
Dials,
connects,
verifies UN/PW then
"Error 50: The Request is not supported".

Contacted, ISP Support [Verizon] Advised its a MS problem
Contacted USR Support Advised its a MS problem.
No info on MS Knowledgebase [Golly a surprise there...]
Goggled the error message, found others with similar errors but no solution.

At a frustrating stand still at the moment.

Thoughts? Hints? Perhaps I should sacrifice a chicken? I'm open at this
point.

Thanks
David

Are you using the generic Windows drivers or are you using the ones that
came with the modem? You may want to try the ones that came with the
modem and check the settings for your Dial up connection. Try creating
a new connection with all of the same username/password and phone number
as the other one. Finally, try reinstalling whatever software Verizon
has you using.

-----
Nathan McNulty