[SOLVED] dial up modem issues

Oct 26, 2019
Hello dear members !
this threated is about the intrenet which is conveyed by phone lines only. (i mean copper wires)
I have a general idea, that any modem is used to translate the degital signal to analog signal, and vice versa.
I also noticed that each modem needs to be connected, to the phone line
but i got some confuses how that operation occurs , and my main questions are the following :
  1. does the computer send a degital signal to the phone line firstly, or to the modem ?
  2. why does the modem understand two signal types: (analog, degital) ?
  3. why does the dial up modem generate a noisy sound?
4)does the dial up modem include phone line inside ?
5)which is better: analog signal, or degital ?

USAFRet

Titan
The word "modem" is mash of Modulator/Demodulator.
Modem.

That box contains the circuitry to convert what the PC is sending out, into something the phone line can handle.
And the reverse at the other end.

And cable and fiber also have a "modem" in the chain.
Convert the signal from the PC to what can be transmitted over the coax line or fiber. ANd back again at the other end.

Reactions: iamabdou
Oct 26, 2019
The word "modem" is mash of Modulator/Demodulator.
Modem.

That box contains the circuitry to convert what the PC is sending out, into something the phone line can handle.
And the reverse at the other end.

And cable and fiber also have a "modem" in the chain.
Convert the signal from the PC to what can be transmitted over the coax line or fiber. ANd back again at the other end.
Thank you !
Can you please answer all the questions i ve asked

USAFRet

Titan
Reactions: iamabdou
Solution
Oct 26, 2019
Hello lovely members !:D
i ve an idea that isp provides internet for their customers.
I want to know the path of data from isp to my computer!
I know my modem has ip of the router , but why do i need a landphone number ? Is it just to give access to internet, so how this happen ?
And when internet amount use end , how isp stoped internet to my modem
Does the phone line number gives a range for my ip adress or just the router who does that
Does phone line number represents the router ip for isp ?
Please need to solve these issues

Put simply, you DO NOT need a phone number to have broadband internet, only for dial-up will you need a phone number too. It seems like you want broadband connection. IF your local ISP does not offer internet only options, then you have no choice but to get what they offer.

BUT TO REITERATE, you do NOT need a phone number to have broadband internet.

bignastyid

Titan
Put simply, you DO NOT need a phone number to have broadband internet, only for dial-up will you need a phone number too. It seems like you want broadband connection. IF your local ISP does not offer internet only options, then you have no choice but to get what they offer.

DSL(which is considered broadband) requires phone line(s)/a phone number. When I had DSL I had 2 phone lines/numbers.

DSL(which is considered broadband) requires phone line(s)/a phone number. When I had DSL I had 2 phone lines/numbers.

Unless he gets a naked DSL, which he would be able to get internet from a phone line, but won't be paying or getting a phone number that he can use.

But again, it's all depending on what OP's local ISP offers. He may not have any choice but to get a phone number with his internet. He just doesn't need it if there are options beyond DSL.

If you disconnect the DSL modem and connect a phone they are usable.

3fp2pi.jpg

But now we're just deviating from the original question.

Oct 26, 2019

i want an answer about dsl
why they require a phone number

Oct 26, 2019

you do not understand my question
i know that i do not need phone number to connect to the network ; but why they require phone line number instead of giving us just phone wires ? and when internet amount end how isp stop giving me internet ?

USAFRet

Titan
you do not understand my question
i know that i do not need phone number to connect to the network ; but why they require phone line number instead of giving us just phone wires ? and when internet amount end how isp stop giving me internet ?
The normal DSL connection requires a phone line.
If they offer it, and if you ask nicely, they might have an option for naked DSL. No phone number required.