Question Dial up Speeds - No line Faults

Mar 30, 2022
Hi,

I've had an issue for the past few days where my download speed is horrendous - below 0.5 mb to the point where I can barely browse the web, let alone stream TV. The upload is fine and hits 12mb-ish.

I'm with nowtv in the UK who are owned by Sky I contacted the support team who say there are no issues on my line from what they can see and my setup seems fine. I've tried all the usual fixes like restarting the router. They say it must be a device issue on my end. The 'speed test' on their end shows 60 odd mb download but every service I've used shows less than 1mb but they said they get that speed from the line itself.

I have tested speeds on wired and wireless connection on 5 different devices and all suffer this issue. I am assuming it's a router issue but I've no idea how to fix it. If anyone has suggestions that would be great as nowtv support don't seem to have any other ideas and basically said to just wait and see.

Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

If your computer has both a wired network adapter and a wireless network adapter ensure that only one of them is enabled.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt and post the results.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (use both but only one at a time) to observe system/network performance.

First while the computer just idles, then while doing light network/internet work, and then while gaming/uploading.

Look for some change in the resources being used: what is using any given resource, to what extent (%), and what is using the resource.

= = = =

Also run " ping 8.8.8.8" ( again without quotes) via the Command Prompt a few times and post a representative sample of the results. (8.8.8.8 is one of Google's IP addresses).

Then run again but target the download website by its' IP address or URL.

Lastly run "tracert" again targeting the download website.

Overall objective being to determine if the problem is within your network, your ISP, or somewhere beyond.

= = = =

Router: make and model?

The router's logs, if available and enabled, may provide some clue.

Who has full access rights to the router? You will need help from that person.