Dialup re dials after inactivity

I have computers sharing ICS, it is set to drop the connection after 5
minutes of inactivity, which it does. But it dials back a few seconds
later. I deselected redial if line dropped and lowered the redial
attempts, but it still does it. What do I do?

I’d like the computers to have dial on demand, but I would like the
connection to be free when not needed. These computers don’t have
permission to access Windows updates and I keep them spyware and virus
free as best I can. Thanks.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Dialup-dials-inactivity-ftopict547123.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1729287

If you installed a competent firewall program similar to ZoneAlarm, you
would get a warning as to what is trying to dial out. It is likely that you
have an unwanted visitor on your computer - called a rouge dialer.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

In news:uEZaaF5cFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Richard Urban <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> typed:

> If you installed a competent firewall program similar to
> ZoneAlarm,
> you would get a warning as to what is trying to dial out. It is
> likely that you have an unwanted visitor on your computer -
> called a
> rouge dialer.

Isn't that the kind of dialer some women use to make them look
rosy-cheeked? ;-)

Please reply to the newsgroup

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Ken Blake wrote:

> In news:uEZaaF5cFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Richard Urban <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> typed:
>

>>If you installed a competent firewall program similar to
>>ZoneAlarm,
>>you would get a warning as to what is trying to dial out. It is
>>likely that you have an unwanted visitor on your computer -
>>called a
>>rouge dialer.
>

> Isn't that the kind of dialer some women use to make them look
> rosy-cheeked? ;-)

lol...

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Ken Blake wrote:

> In news:uEZaaF5cFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Richard Urban <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> typed:
>

>>If you installed a competent firewall program similar to
>>ZoneAlarm,
>>you would get a warning as to what is trying to dial out. It is
>>likely that you have an unwanted visitor on your computer -
>>called a
>>rouge dialer.
>

> Isn't that the kind of dialer some women use to make them look
> rosy-cheeked? ;-)

Only if they live in Baton Rogue, Louisiana

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Kelly is going to bite you for this one! (-:

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> In news:uEZaaF5cFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>> Richard Urban <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> typed:
>>

>>>If you installed a competent firewall program similar to ZoneAlarm,
>>>you would get a warning as to what is trying to dial out. It is
>>>likely that you have an unwanted visitor on your computer - called a
>>>rouge dialer.
>>

>> Isn't that the kind of dialer some women use to make them look
>> rosy-cheeked? ;-)
>>

> Only if they live in Baton Rogue, Louisiana
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Richard Urban wrote:

> Kelly is going to bite you for this one! (-:

haha..yeah..I was thinking of making a comment in that direction but
decided against it

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

In news:OE0r$$8cFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Rock <rock@mail.nospam.net> typed:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> In news:uEZaaF5cFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>> Richard Urban <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> typed:
>>

>>> If you installed a competent firewall program similar to
>>> ZoneAlarm,
>>> you would get a warning as to what is trying to dial out. It
>>> is
>>> likely that you have an unwanted visitor on your computer -
>>> called a
>>> rouge dialer.
>>

>> Isn't that the kind of dialer some women use to make them look
>> rosy-cheeked? ;-)
>>

> Only if they live in Baton Rogue, Louisiana

LOL! I had to read that twice--missed it the first time.

Please reply to the newsgroup

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 19:07:35 -0400, "Richard Urban"

>If you installed a competent firewall program similar to ZoneAlarm, you
>would get a warning as to what is trying to dial out. It is likely that you
>have an unwanted visitor on your computer - called a rouge dialer.

Hmm... wouldn't have to be a dialer, if he's set an ICS host to allow
software to initiate a connection. Anything that nudges TCP/IP
outside the subnet mask will likely trigger a dial-up attempt, whereas
without these settings, it would either quietly give up, or pop up
some sort of error, without being allowed to try.

Over here, we get charged per second for calls to local phone numbers,
including ISPs. So we detest trash that initiates a DUN session.

You must remember that Internet software assumes networking is always
present. It says "get me so-and-so", and the OS will then try to find
that on the network. When that network's TCP/IP, and it can't find
anything on the LAN, it will try through the gateway, and that is what
is initiating dial-up in this situation.

These days, so much stuff ASSumes Internet access is always available,
and will try its luck calling home - typically to "check for updates".
Even a rubbishy little mouse drivers and screen savers may call home
for "updates", as if it's impossible to write 1M of code without
screwing up. Then, once you're online, chances are something will
call out every x minutes, where x < z, and z is the time the OS waits
before considering the connection "idle" and disconnecting it.

Result: PC dials out, racks up phone charges, never hangs up.

As you can imagine, where phone calls cost money, we never allow
software to initiate a dial-up connection :)

Tip Of The Day:
To disable the 'Tip of the Day' feature...