DiamondRobin is dead

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

I have the impression, DiamondRobin is dead...

DiamondRobin, the chaotic human barbarian ascended today after more than
a month (real time) and 53515 moves (nethack time).

After this character has been started by someone (unknown to me) five
weeks ago, I continued the game quite infrequently, even with some huge
time gaps of more than a week each. Just once, in a single session, some
fellow joined the party.■

Having had more time recently and being eager, I finished the game today.

Watching NAO occasionally I got the impression that also the other Robins
(RoundRobin, SquareRobin, DiamondRobin) are quite inactive.

Is the Round Robin idea already dead?

Janis

■ In comparison, the first games of DiamondRobin were processed by a
couple of people, and quite fast (a few days), to ascension.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> Watching NAO occasionally I got the impression that also the other
> Robins (RoundRobin, SquareRobin, DiamondRobin) are quite inactive.
>
> Is the Round Robin idea already dead?

I played on SquareRobin a few times. It seemed that a couple of people
would get a character going, and then someone would kill it off without
even a word to the group for anyone to find out what happened. The only
time (to my knowledge) that anyone did post to let us know he killed
off a character, he had quit because he didn't know how to save.

There's little incentive to put any work into a character if there's a
likelihood that someone is going to do that.

--
Kevin Wayne
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Kevin Wayne wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>
>>Watching NAO occasionally I got the impression that also the other
>>Robins (RoundRobin, SquareRobin, DiamondRobin) are quite inactive.
>>
>>Is the Round Robin idea already dead?
>
> I played on SquareRobin a few times. It seemed that a couple of people
> would get a character going, and then someone would kill it off without
> even a word to the group for anyone to find out what happened.

That's bad. I understand that the one might prefer to hide, but it's bad.

> The only
> time (to my knowledge) that anyone did post to let us know he killed
> off a character, he had quit because he didn't know how to save.

Ah, yes, I remember. I even observed it online - boy, what a sting into
the heart it was. I think it was the very first game, when there was not
yet a distinction of the three groups.

> There's little incentive to put any work into a character if there's a
> likelihood that someone is going to do that.

I hoped that with the three groups it would get better.

Janis
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

On 16 Jul 2005 13:46:29 -0700, "Kevin Wayne"
<killedbyafoo@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>
>I played on SquareRobin a few times. It seemed that a couple of people
>would get a character going, and then someone would kill it off without
>even a word to the group for anyone to find out what happened. The only
>time (to my knowledge) that anyone did post to let us know he killed
>off a character, he had quit because he didn't know how to save.
>
>There's little incentive to put any work into a character if there's a
>likelihood that someone is going to do that.

"Cockroaches: It's not what they eat or carry off that's the
problem. It's what they fall into and mess up."

- "The Franchise", by Peter Gent


Jove
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> Watching NAO occasionally I got the impression that also the other
> Robins (RoundRobin, SquareRobin, DiamondRobin) are quite inactive.

I played RoundRobin for a while, collecting tons of items and polypiling
them into almost everything you'd possibly need. I even explored
Gehennom entirely and made shortcuts from upstair to downstair on every
level.

I cleared almost all levels in Gehennom, including the entire wizard's
tower, except for the last room (I didn't wake up the wizard).

RoundRobin was ready for ascension: all he needed was to get the Book,
then the Amulet, and then run up and ascend. That's where I left him.

To be sure, I just restarted the game to check, and returned RoundRobin
to the altar/chest at dungeon level 11 where I left the stash.
Everything was still there, and he still seems ready to ascend. I've
played him long enough, I think. Who'll pick up the challenge and play
the next 1000 turns?

--
Boudewijn.

--
"I have hundreds of other quotes, just waiting to replace this one
as my signature..." - Me
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Boudewijn Waijers wrote on Sun, 17 Jul 2005 02:42:10 +0200:

> To be sure, I just restarted the game to check, and returned RoundRobin
> to the altar/chest at dungeon level 11 where I left the stash.
> Everything was still there, and he still seems ready to ascend. I've
> played him long enough, I think. Who'll pick up the challenge and play
> the next 1000 turns?

I took 1300 turns, from 87867 to 89168, and saved just after arriving on
Astral. The character has everything needed to recharge the wands of
death, teleport, and polymorph, if that is needed. Also 6!oFH and plenty
of food. Also the [HoOA...

Good luck to whomever is next.


--
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious
commodity is so much misery." -- Jack Vance
 

d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
331
0
18,780
0
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

RoundRobin has ascended. Nothing too exciting, everything was set up well.
Went to the right first was Death, back to the middle and Pesty and the
correct altar. Made #579 on the top 2000 list.

"Rast" <rast2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1d4391ae8e0ec09a98a376@216.168.3.44...
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote on Sun, 17 Jul 2005 02:42:10 +0200:
>
> > To be sure, I just restarted the game to check, and returned RoundRobin
> > to the altar/chest at dungeon level 11 where I left the stash.
> > Everything was still there, and he still seems ready to ascend. I've
> > played him long enough, I think. Who'll pick up the challenge and play
> > the next 1000 turns?
>
> I took 1300 turns, from 87867 to 89168, and saved just after arriving on
> Astral. The character has everything needed to recharge the wands of
> death, teleport, and polymorph, if that is needed. Also 6!oFH and plenty
> of food. Also the [HoOA...
>
> Good luck to whomever is next.
>
>
> --
> "Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
> am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious
> commodity is so much misery." -- Jack Vance
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY