DICE Reveals PC Requirements For 'Battlefield 1,' Changes Conquest Mode Scoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjbtexas

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
This game must be pretty CPU intensive if it requires a 6600K but only a Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 / AMD Radeon HD 7850... I bet you could easily get away with a 6500.

This doesn't make much sense. An i5-2500K dominates an Athlon FX 6350 in single and multi-threaded tasks. There always seems to be an imbalance in the AMD Intel requirements in games. Even though every in game benchmark I've seen shows Intel models beating out AMD. Even the i3-6100 at stock settings does better in most games than a fairly heavily overclocked AMD 8 Core.

Does Intel pay game publishers to bump up requirements? Many games seem to play quite well on Intel CPUs well below the minimum requirements. As long as the GPU is good.

I played the beta on an 8 year old core i7 920 with a geforce 970. I played on ultra detail at 1440p and still consistently got over 50-60fps, i had DX12 enabled. The game was impressively well optimized, and i'm assuming it's taking good advantage of the extra cores in my processor. Not once, did it stutter or chug.

I guess the cpu requirements are always a trade-off. Low requirements mean people will see it as 'more accessible', but it brings a higher risk of less knowledgeable people saying "I have an i5 and it's slow", when they might have a 1st gen low end i5 (most people just look at the i3-i5-i7 number, not the exact model).
Higher requirements mean some people wont buy it because they think they cant run it, but it will also be a 'pleasant surprise' for people who can run it and don't meet the recommended specs.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

I suspect this is a problem for people with laptops. "My laptop says i5 on the sticker" though running 2 cores at 1.2GHz "And it says my graphics card is a 960m!" would be nice to have a benchmark for the game as a standalone in case you are unsure if your pc can run it.

If they don't make capturing and holding control points the primary way to earn points in conquest, it will be the same old thing. Not bad, just not encouraging the team concept or cooperation all that much. This means a team full of snipers can sit back and shoot, not capture any flags and then get high scores for the round. I think the best thing they could do is encourage the team concept and discourage TDM players from hanging out at the edge of the map sniping when playing a round of conquest unless that sniper is directly supporting teammates at a flag in the process of being defended or captured.

Also, the armor should be something to be feared. I thought the tanks were at the right level in the beta.

I do agree with the horse tweak. You shouldn't have to use all of your ammo to drop one.

I hope they don't mess with the planes too much. That part of the game seems more fun than ever. I think it's due to the slower speeds of the old planes. They seem more suitable for the map size. For example, in BF4 you could fly from one end of a map to the other in a few seconds on some of the smaller maps. In BF1, you spend a lot more time over the map because of the limitation in speed of the plane.

XGC EZ TEC

Reputable
May 23, 2014
hey guys, i ran the battlefield one beta on my current build, and i found it ran great. I was watching the chat and everyone was comparing what they had. I told everyone what i had and i got laughed at ? the only thing i changed was the ram. i went from 16 gb ddr4 Corsair ram to 32gb G.Skill Aegis & i had 2 memory slots open. So i used 8gb (2x4 Corsair dominator Platinum ddr4) then they asked me what monitor i got, and i said i have an AOC 27 inch. with 20 mil to 1 contrast ratio, and then everyone shut up ???? I don't understand

dstarr3

Distinguished
I think generally the CPU requirements are based on the conversation: "What's a good clock speed? What were the last generation of CPUs called? Great, put that on the box."

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
It depends on how heavily multithreaded the game is. My 9590 can hold its own with my 4790K for applications/games that actually scale beyond 4 cores (few and far between), and DX12 is a bit better than DX11 at distributing the rendering tasks.

But yeah, for games that benefit from single-threaded performance, the 9590 generally gets embarassed by the Haswell. There are a couple of really good multi-core games I've run across---Company of Heroes 2 and GTA5.

They should lower the specs, and simply put out a free downloadable DEMO. That way people can try before they buy to make sure their hardware is up to snuff. I don't think many desktop users will have trouble, but i think the laptop gamers might stuggle due to low voltage processors.

jtisgeek4807

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016
True requirements stopped being a thing along time ago. The requirements games put on the box now are just marketing fluff for new hardware.

I have witness in my career multiple times where a developer googled what the latest cpu was and then would reply to a ticket. With that model and told people that was what was needed to run the software well.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"Wow this just shows you how good the graphics will be, I have all the minimum, but not the recommended, wish me luck! "

Actually, it means very little---to max out Deus Ex MD, you need a monster computer (i'm not even sure you can build one right now that will run 4x MSAA at a smooth consistent framerate), and it really doesnt blow me away graphically. It depends on how good the coding is.

qwertytheasdf

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
Impossible specs. The 6600K is the current gen processor, released only approx 1 year ago. I'm going to call this a typo. Played beta with an overclocked i5-3570k with a GTX 1070 and I maxxed out every possible setting, even anti aliasing (left render scale at 100%) and still pushed constant 60 FPS.

Well, you said it yourself, "overclocked". That changes a lot.

But it would be really nice to be able to test that by lowering the cpu speed 100MHz at a time, until the game can no longer consistently get above 60fps, and call that a real recommended spec. Too bad the beta is no longer available.

Status
Not open for further replies.