DanglingPointer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Been playing on Linux all year!
Both Wargames - Euro Escalation and Airland Battle,
All Source Engine games
Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief
ARMA Tactics
And just bought Amnesia - A Machine for Pigs - currently downloading.
Massively looking forward to Rome II Total War's Linux port
and Metro Last Light (due within the next couple of months I believe).
Crytek is also now developing using the latest OpenGL and porting their DirectX 11 engine and have hired developers.
The future is bright for Linux! Sooner or later people will realise that they are wasting their money on M$ bloatware, $$$ better spent on hardware and games.

undercovernerd6

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
If you read between the lines, dice has a nice game engine fb3, and with steam os they could potentially release a title like bf4 per say on the steam machine to entice large amounts of gamers.

Polluted

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
If the steam OS can also be used as a media centre or integrated seamlessly with XBMC it would help move it to the living room faster. Or as I've heard: Steam Holiday sale + Movies and Music = sore wallet.

wshwe

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
EA doesn't have to pay license fees to MS, Sony or Nintendo to support Steam Linux gaming. If it wanted to EA could stop supporting Windows at some point. Windows PC sales aren't growing any more.

joaompp

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if valve releases half life 3 simultaneously with a commercial steamOS release, and then offer the game for free with every steam machine purchased. That or make half life 3 a steamOS only title, but I don't think they'd alienate millions of windows based PC gamers.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I agree with the competition part, but I don't think that is going to happen so much as we will just have yet another gaming rig. Game devs are going to have 4 platforms to develop for instead of 3. Me, I'm not giving up my computer, and really am mystified at this point why other people just don't go ahead and migrate over. Like, everyone already has a computer, so just save that $500 you'll spend on a new console, spend it on games, spend on a better graphics card, whatever. The only thing Xbox and Playstation have going for them is their respective communities - and really, they just create divisions in the overall community in the end. Xbox players can't play with Playstation players can't play with PC/Mac players.

A decade ago their was a good place for a console. They were less than $200, and you couldn't buy a computer anywhere near that and play top games on it. It's different today, their isn't enough of a price break, and it just makes games more expensive because devs have to deal with all those systems.

And Valve is adding another.

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
@Marcus52
Valve didn't add anything, its the same good old PC + some OS improvments that are good for games but unusable for every day tasks. In terms of work developers will be doing nothing changed.
As for consoles, we buy them because of the games that won't get on PC, its that simple, noone cares whether can or can't play with PC.
P.S. Why do some people have PC for windows and Mac for Mac, its the same PC, they don't have PPC there for years already.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
DICE is right about one thing, a 'killer" title that will boost the platform - the only problem with that is who is prepared to take a risk pushing out a title on a platform with such a low user base as an exclusive? Either DICE is being coy and they have a AAA title they are preparing for SteamOS exclusivity, or they are politely asking Valve to do it themselves because they have no intention of losing millions in potential sales for a game they could push out to PS4, XB1 and PC?

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Why is it that people forget that Loki Software ported a number of Windows games to Linux in the late 1990s to the early part of this century..?!

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
The killer app will more than likely be HL3. It will be much like many "get it early" games/ dlc. A week or maybe 2 weeks it will be exclusive to Steam OS. Give people a reason to try it out. While still supporting all other markets.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
@bulkzerker

I completely agree. Im pretty sure valve will make HL3 available a few weeks on steamos first before windows. its logical, will definitely increase the steamos userbase exponentially and not piss off windows users.

jesh4622

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
@Marcus52
No, not 4 platforms. Developers need to code for Mantle, and then everything else. The easiest way to reach Intel/Nvidia or non-Mantle Steambox users would be OpenGL. Two platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.