Question Did a CMOS reset to avoid BIOS password, didn't work and Windows won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyavix

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
I have an HP Probook 640 laptop which I got from my school (the computer belongs to the school while you go there, but you pay a fee each year and when you're finished it's yours). The computer gets wiped as they give you administrator rights. I've used it for studying ever since, and today I needed to install a virtual computer for a course I'm taking. This didn't work because of a BIOS setting so I went to change it but was met with a password prompt. I searched online for a workaround and saw that a CMOS reset might remove the password entirely. I did the reset and was met with the error "The CMOS checksum is invalid" and was told the CMOS would be reset to default configuration (as expected). Then I tried to enter the BIOS but it was still asking for a password, and when rebooting I realized that Windows wouldn't start anymore.

I've tried generating master-passwords from different websites and programs but it doesn't work. I've been thinking about reinstalling Windows but I'm guessing that won't work either? I think i reset the BIOS settings which made it not start Windows, and since I'm locked out of the BIOS I can't fix it again.. At this point I don't really care about getting the virtual computer to work, I just need a working laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.