Did a major hardware upgrade, any problems to look out for?

kolton987

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
So I upgraded from an intel i5-3330 (extremely old I know) to a Ryzen 5 2600. After a few hours i got everything all plugged in and everything where it should be I went to put this upgrade to the test. Now I have had issues with OEM copies of windows before so I knew a reinstall was highly likely and prepared an installation flash drive. Upon turning on the computer.. well it all worked perfectly, I initially was going to use the flash drive to reinstall windows but wanted to delete the data first, I ended up shutting off my computer and wasnt quick enough to enter bios as I was distracted. The PC auto booted off my SSD and to my great surprise everything worked fine, windows booted normally and all my data was still present. So my question is, are there any potential effects I should look out for relating to this anomaly that could be a sign of conflicting drivers? I have yet to run into any problems and have even run the most demanding game i have to test that all my equipment works fine and it does! Any insight would be helpful, just looking to err on the side of caution.
Thanks!

It's always best to reinstall Windows when using a new and different motherboard. If you want to err on the side of caution, reinstalling Windows would be the best course of action.

To my knowledge issues user's have experienced from using previous Windows installations on a new system will show up in unknown performance issues such as low CPU/GPU utilization while gaming or even not all CPU cores/threads showing up.

I'm sure there could be more issues to look for, but these are the ones I'm aware of now.

kolton987

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017

Hmm, I have had perfectly normal utilization across all the cores as well as my gpu from my tests. I will keep an eye out for any problems, and when I get time to sit down and do it I will go through a full reinstall. I also have to see if windows will give me a new key since even though I linked my key to my account it did not automatically verify when I did my upgrade.