Question Did a new m.2 SSD kill my motherboard?

Jul 7, 2020
Hi all - long time first time etc.

So, this week I got a decent deal on a new XPG SX8100 m.2 SSD for my aging-but-still OK desktop. I checked my motherboard's (Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 5) specs before buying the SSD, and it seemed like it'd work but at a slower speed than its true capability.

When I installed it, things went juuuust a bit wrong. I got a lovely BSOD on the first startup, and when I went into the BIOS to select the old SATA SSD I usually boot off of (I had no intention of using the m.2 as a boot drive), it was nowhere to be found. Only my two HDDs showed up, one of which still has an old W10 installation on it.

I removed the m.2 drive and rebooted, and the old SSD now was back but unbootable. I made a Windows install drive and booted from that, and it couldn't repair anything. So, being a very intelligent person, I plugged the m.2 drive back in, thinking I'd just bite the bullet and install Windows on it. Now nothing works. Everything inside the case powers on, but no display and now power going out to USB devices. The reset/power buttons on the front of the case don't do anything anymore, either (apart from the initial power on)

So I guess I have two questions:
  1. Is it possible that the SSD did this, or was there just a freak coincidence and my 5-year-old motherboard happened to bite the dust at the same time?
  2. Is it my fault? I'm willing to accept that my system is toast, but I'm really curious as to whether or not I did it myself by installing something that shouldn't have been installed.

Thanks to anyone with input!

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020
Normally the m.2 SSD disables one of the SATA ports, so that would account for your initial problem. I can't see how this could have taken out the motherboard, though.

See page 11 of the manual:
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z97x-gaming5_e.pdf

Iiiinteresting. Well there's one thing I had no idea about! I can sort of trace what happened to make my older SSD unbootable from that point (I let Windows run its repair process, because I wasn't paying attention), but sadly I still don't know why everything else is shot. Thanks for the response!