Did a video game just kill my PC?

Apr 12, 2018
Earlier today, AMD Catalyst Control told me my video drivers were out of date (I recently had to reinstall Windows so they were).

After installing, it asked to reboot, but I declined because I was waiting for a file conversion to take place.

A little later, I loaded up The Sims 3. During the loading screen, the PC suddenly shut off without warning.

I hit the power button - Nothing. I unplug and plug back into wall - Nothing.

I open up the case, unplug everything - Nothing. I've even 'breadboxed' with the 4 pin and 24 pin connectors only - Still nothing.

Here's my specs

Intel Core i5-3330 CPU
2x4GB ASint DDR3 4GB-1333 Ram
AMD HD6670 2GB GDDR3 GFX
ASRock H61M-VG4 MOBO
EVOLABS Pentium p4 E-600BR PSU

PS: Is there a speaker connector on the Mobo to check for POST? I have one but can't see where it would go.

Solution
This motherboard has onboard speaker, so you don't need to connect any. I think it's just a coincidence, that shouldn't have to do with the game, but rather to a hardware issue.
Remove the psu and check it with the paperclip trick to see if it works. If it doesn't power up, you need a new one. If it does power up, we ll have to check the motherboard.
This motherboard has onboard speaker, so you don't need to connect any. I think it's just a coincidence, that shouldn't have to do with the game, but rather to a hardware issue.
Remove the psu and check it with the paperclip trick to see if it works. If it doesn't power up, you need a new one. If it does power up, we ll have to check the motherboard.

Solution

I really would not be suprised if it's the psu. It's a terrible unit way back from the early 2000's.

Apr 12, 2018

Tried the paperclip trick on the PSU and it didn't work, so I bought a new one (Cosair CX650) and it's all working fine now.

TRENDING THREADS