[SOLVED] Did all port forwarding steps correctly, but ports refuse to be forwarded

hishamalpha00

Honorable
Apr 20, 2014
Hey i've run into a really frustrating issue. I've watched many many videos on how to port forward and done all the steps, those include making IP static, logging into internet provider site and setting up a port forward, but when i run my server that needs to be port forwarded (25565) and check on sites like canyouseeme and portcheckers and yougetsignal using my public IP and the given port 25565, it says the port is closed due to time out, which means my port forward was not successful. I've added this port in my firewall, both UDP and TCP, yet it refuses to port forward.

i am using ethernet, going through my router, an ASUS RT-N66U, i've done my research and checked up on the ipconfigs for this specific scenario., all this is well documented of course, and i've done all the steps. but it doesnt port forward. what am i missing?

Solution
the IP in canyouseeme is locked, and it is automatically set to my public IP address, which is different to my WAN IP which goes something like 192.168.xxx.xx, while my IPv4 goes something like 192.168.1.xx, and my public IP follows a different format altogether. I used my IPv4 for port forwarding - i am sure that I am supposed to use this. for checking the ports on the websites, i use my public IP, i am also sure i need to do this. I havent yet used the WAN ip yet, is this important?
You do not actually have a public ip address this means. The IP you see on the canyouseeme is shared with other customers in your ISP. The IP assigned to your router is private. This pretty much means you will never get port forwarding...
Try the DMZ option it tends to not be as confusing as port forwarding. This is just to test in the long run you need to go back and figure out the port forwarding since dmz is a security exposure.

Make very sure the IP you see in the router wan matches the IP you see in the canyouseeme site.

hishamalpha00

Honorable
Apr 20, 2014
Try the DMZ option it tends to not be as confusing as port forwarding. This is just to test in the long run you need to go back and figure out the port forwarding since dmz is a security exposure.

Make very sure the IP you see in the router wan matches the IP you see in the canyouseeme site.
how do i check my IP in the router wan? i just used google's whats my ip. for IPv4 i used cmd and ipconfig. which one are you referring to?

hishamalpha00

Honorable
Apr 20, 2014
I am not 100% sure since asus changes the software but it should be on the first screen in the router. If not there should be some page that shows the status and shows the wan ip.

the IP in canyouseeme is locked, and it is automatically set to my public IP address, which is different to my WAN IP which goes something like 192.168.xxx.xx, while my IPv4 goes something like 192.168.1.xx, and my public IP follows a different format altogether. I used my IPv4 for port forwarding - i am sure that I am supposed to use this. for checking the ports on the websites, i use my public IP, i am also sure i need to do this. I havent yet used the WAN ip yet, is this important?

You do not actually have a public ip address this means. The IP you see on the canyouseeme is shared with other customers in your ISP. The IP assigned to your router is private. This pretty much means you will never get port forwarding to work.

The only exception would be if you have another router in your house. Some people have what they call a "modem" but it is both a modem and a router. If that is the case you would have to do port forwarding in that device also. If it is actually just a modem then it does not have a IP address.

Some ISP will give you a public IP for a extra monthly charge.

Reactions: hishamalpha00
Solution

hishamalpha00

Honorable
Apr 20, 2014
Watch the language
You do not actually have a public ip address this means. The IP you see on the canyouseeme is shared with other customers in your ISP. The IP assigned to your router is private. This pretty much means you will never get port forwarding to work.

The only exception would be if you have another router in your house. Some people have what they call a "modem" but it is both a modem and a router. If that is the case you would have to do port forwarding in that device also. If it is actually just a modem then it does not have a IP address.

Some ISP will give you a public IP for a extra monthly charge.
that is absolute Removed garbage. i wasted all day with this. well, thank you for telling me, I would've lost my mind if you hadn't.

Last edited by a moderator: