Question Did an SSD ruin my system?

Shredder565

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2007
Howdy folks, havn't posted in a while, but things have been thankfully calm tech wise :).

i'm starting to get into SSd's and enjoying the speed increase. so I Wanted to upgrade my WD 1TB to a WD 2TB for my C Drive.

It lasted a grand total of about 1 minute into a fresh windows 11 install and then the screen went dark. about an hour later, I felt the need to replace my motherboard AND GPU that seemed to go dark on two machines to test it.

looking at the reveiws, I see this might be a common problem with that SSD due to cheap components used by WD and now i'm wary of them. 30 years of WD hard drives and first one ever that gave an issue, let alone this bad.

So, I decided to try my first ever Samsung HD in my new Asus MB and so far IT'S working fine at least. Now I've got to decide if I want to make my main data drive a Samsung 8TB SSD or keep it on ye old slower HD.

I'm not quite clear on your problem.

In your last paragraph, you say the Samsung SSD is "working fine".

I guess you are considering an 8 TB Samsung SSD. That would certainly be faster than any HD.

What is your question exactly?

Why do you think your system may be ruined, as stated in your thread title?

I guess you also replaced a motherboard?

Not clear on your situation.

USAFRet

Titan
Howdy folks, havn't posted in a while, but things have been thankfully calm tech wise :).

i'm starting to get into SSd's and enjoying the speed increase. so I Wanted to upgrade my WD 1TB to a WD 2TB for my C Drive.

It lasted a grand total of about 1 minute into a fresh windows 11 install and then the screen went dark. about an hour later, I felt the need to replace my motherboard AND GPU that seemed to go dark on two machines to test it.

looking at the reveiws, I see this might be a common problem with that SSD due to cheap components used by WD and now i'm wary of them. 30 years of WD hard drives and first one ever that gave an issue, let alone this bad.

So, I decided to try my first ever Samsung HD in my new Asus MB and so far IT'S working fine at least. Now I've got to decide if I want to make my main data drive a Samsung 8TB SSD or keep it on ye old slower HD.
All my house systems have been SSD only for several years.
Mainly Samsung, but also others.

The SSD you tried first was a WD something?

Shredder565

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2007
yes, this one to b e specific.
Western Digital 2TB WD Blue SN550 NVMe Internal SSD - Gen3 x4 PCIe 8Gb/s, M.2 2280, 3D NAND, Up to 2,600 MB/s - WDS200T2B0C

looking at the 1 star reviews, seems others had the same issue. wonder if anyone else here did.

USAFRet

Titan
yes, this one to b e specific.
Western Digital 2TB WD Blue SN550 NVMe Internal SSD - Gen3 x4 PCIe 8Gb/s, M.2 2280, 3D NAND, Up to 2,600 MB/s - WDS200T2B0C

looking at the 1 star reviews, seems others had the same issue. wonder if anyone else here did.
1 Star reviews, from where?

Generally, WD SSDs are not a problem.
User reviews from places such as Amazon....problem.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
An 8TB SSD would be really dumb unless you're constantly copying and editing HUGE files in the order of several hundred GBs and a few TBs.

Not for games and definitely not to store a bunch of music files and movies that will remain there for years untouched, unless you want to burn a couple thousands of course.