Question Did anyone successfully get a 3080 today?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I would expect that it depends. The different retailers will receive new stocks on a regular basis and it will be first come first serve. Will probably take awhile until situation will relax a little.

I am sure more cards will show up at retailers over the next week or so. but I doubt it it will be easy to snatch one...especially if you have your eye on a specific model.

I wished retailers in the U.S. would allow pre-orders now after the launch. At least you could relax a little....even if there would be more waiting involved. But you would have to check there websites every day 20 times. I don't trust those "notify me" things.....Newegg actually notified me this morning, and I was even able to put the card in the shopping card, but by the time I went to my shopping cart it was gone....

Last edited:
I know this is all fake bidding, but LOL

3Vi55UhX_o.jpg

A question for you all (not meant as a challenge just genuinely curious)

Will having a 3080 make a huge difference in today's titles if you have say a 2070?

Why not wait for 3rd party models as they usually have better performance?

Is it not better to wait and see how the 3080 matures and what AMD will counter with?

I think there is a bit of hysteria going on rn
(you can diss me on my last statement though :p)

Reactions: King_V

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
No..... I was refreshing non-stop Newegg/Bestbuy/Amazon and nothing. Bestbuy went straight to out of stock and the same with Newegg

The Best Buy here put out a notice and sign that they were allowing ZERO camping out in front of the store, like would normally happen in such cases. I am sure there were a LOT of occupied cars in the parking area overnight.
Newegg sent me the notice, and when the page loaded there was no more.

I actually haven't checked Microcenter. I have to make a trip by one next week or two, pretty sure they will be gone by then if any remain.

My thoughts on it are that we will not see any normal level of stock until around Spring of next year. Even IF these trickle back in before then there will be loads of people doing what we thought would happen, buy and relist high so that little Johnny can get one for Christmas.

On EBay, I'm seeing them bid up to very high levels (like above) , or lots of $699.00 "Paper Edition" posts stating "Don't buy," in the header and "this is just an 8x10 printout of a picture of a 3080. Don't buy it" both in an attempt to drive out scalpers

mjbn1977

Distinguished
My thoughts on it are that we will not see any normal level of stock until around Spring of next year. Even IF these trickle back in before then there will be loads of people doing what we thought would happen, buy and relist high so that little Johnny can get one for Christmas.

I don't think it will be that bad. Don't forget....according to Nvidia they producing only since August, Board partners just recently started production. The manufacturing of the cards is all in Asia. So the only way the current inventory that just sold and will sell within the next couple of weeks made it here that fast, was sent to the U.S. by air freight. which is quite a bit more expensive and also space availability is kinda tight because of Covid. There will larger ocean freight shipments eventually arriving in the U.S. that will help a lot with inventory and should make quite an impact on availability. But Ocean freight is taking about 6 weeks (depending where in the US the warehouse is located). So, we should see much better availability some time in October. Also, many scalpers who use bots don't have unlimited stock. As soon as availability picks up, margins scalpers can get go down, availability will go up for all of us. Then hits AMD with big Navi and everything starts from the beginning....just that time it will be the AMD folks who will be frustrated....

that was just a little logistics 1on1.... ;-)

A question for you all (not meant as a challenge just genuinely curious)

Will having a 3080 make a huge difference in today's titles if you have say a 2070?
Yes you would see much higher framerates.
Why not wait for 3rd party models as they usually have better performance?
I was trying to buy a Gigabyte model, so they have launched. The performance difference seems smaller than usual between Nvidia and 3rd party models.
Is it not better to wait and see how the 3080 matures and what AMD will counter with?
Yes, unless the performance in current games is very poor with your current card as in my case.
I think there is a bit of hysteria going on rn
(you can diss me on my last statement though :p)
It's a big hardware launch these things don't happen every day. It's also the first card that can do 4k gaming at decent framerates. There is bound to be some excitement.

Reactions: Quanticriver

lyenokio

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
I know I tried: Never saw one on Amazon, Newegg basically crashed and was sold out once it came back up.

Best buy, I had one IN MY CART but it was gone by the time I clicked Checkout
After this TRASH LAUNCH I have decided just to wait for big Navi and see how things go from here. The marketing hype did not reflect in available quantities from Nvidia. I was told Microcenter received 20 cards and 90 % of them went to the employees then straight to EBAY ??? I cannot recall such an EPIC FAIL with any product launch as this...Nvidia you lost my vote!!!

After this TRASH LAUNCH I have decided just to wait for big Navi and see how things go from here. The marketing hype did not reflect in available quantities from Nvidia. I was told Microcenter received 20 cards and 90 % of them went to the employees then straight to EBAY ??? I cannot recall such an EPIC FAIL with any product launch as this...Nvidia you lost my vote!!!

someone doesn't remember the 2080 launch :)

mjbn1977

Distinguished

Because AMD is so famous for never doing paper launches...LOL. Ryzen 9 3900X ring a bell (was basically unavailable over two month after launch...)

Last edited:

protostar8

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
My two Microcenters that are in GA both had ZERO stock of ANY RTX 3080 checking online all throughout that morning and day. My Best Buy also stated that stores received ZERO stock. The cards were online only. So people camping for one were mighty disappointed to learn that I'm sure.