Did Apple Just Kill Safari for Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed_tumb

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Yeah... my friend (who love love the Apple's products so much... I know you know people like this too) installed Safari in my PC without my permission... and I found out that I don't like it... Firefox ruled, until it became so heavy to be operated on my PC and I switched to Chrome... Chrome are very much lighter than Firefox...

[citation][nom]ed_tumb[/nom]Yeah... my friend (who love love the Apple's products so much... I know you know people like this too) installed Safari in my PC without my permission... and I found out that I don't like it... Firefox ruled, until it became so heavy to be operated on my PC and I switched to Chrome... Chrome are very much lighter than Firefox...[/citation]

Chrome is far heavier than FF, at least it is right now. Whether or not it is faster for some things doesn't change the fact that it uses far more RAM and uses more and more as the tab count increases, especially with Flash-ridden sites.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Took them long enough. The people that are smart enough don't use safari and the people too ignorant to know better, regardless, still shouldn't have to use such a horrible browser.

oneblackened

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Chrome is far heavier than FF, at least it is right now. Whether or not it is faster for some things doesn't change the fact that it uses far more RAM and uses more and more as the tab count increases, especially with Flash-ridden sites.[/citation]
Agreed. Chrome uses a stupid amount of RAM. One tab, ONE TAB, uses 90MB of RAM. 2 plugins in addition? 150MB.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Not surprising as it wasn't really providing any benefit to them unlike iTunes or QuickTime. Businesses drop unpopular products all the time. With open source software, someone can continue it if they are willing to spend the effort to do so. M$ dropped Internet Explorer support for Mac and Unix a long time ago. Most commercial web browsers stopped supporting Win9x-Me and OS/2. A few individuals still support open source browsers for obsolete platforms but that's their choice.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I have to use all browsers with more than 1% market share, for testing purposes, but for the most part what works in Chrome will work on Safari (interestingly enough there are some differences despite them using the same engine).

For my personal use, I prefer Firefox over everything else, probably because I'm so used to it, but it's starting to get annoying due to streamlining they've been doing - no way to turn on Javascript error notifications, many options are hidden in about:config, Flash started crashing on it recently, etc.

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I have to use all browsers with more than 1% market share, for testing purposes, but for the most part what works in Chrome will work on Safari (interestingly enough there are some differences despite them using the same engine).For my personal use, I prefer Firefox over everything else, probably because I'm so used to it, but it's starting to get annoying due to streamlining they've been doing - no way to turn on Javascript error notifications, many options are hidden in about:config, Flash started crashing on it recently, etc.[/citation]

I often read about Flash crashing in FF, but it never happens to me. Are there some sort of circumstances that cause it?

G

Safari leaving the windows platform isn't much of a loss, if any to begin with.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Stardude82[/nom]Maybe this will free up some resources so that they can make iTunes not suck.[/citation]
i dont think so all they do is re-compile safari and itunes for windows i doubt they wright efficient code geared towards windows. i think they want it to suck on purpose. I'm guessing MS does the same w Office for MAC.

[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]i dont think so all they do is re-compile safari and itunes for windows i doubt they wright efficient code geared towards windows. i think they want it to suck on purpose. I'm guessing MS does the same w Office for MAC.[/citation]
I had noticed that iTunes did not run that good on PC, but was great on MAC. This was years back. I just assumed they are doing it to make you say...WOW look for good it runs on Mac(like thats gonna work :)).

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I agree. There's not many good reason for most of us to use Safari on Windows unless you are a web developer/tester.
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]i dont think so all they do is re-compile safari and itunes for windows i doubt they wright efficient code geared towards windows. i think they want it to suck on purpose. I'm guessing MS does the same w Office for MAC.[/citation]I heard they did a very insane thing: they implemented the Mac font rendering system on their products for Windows. I have no idea if they did it on Safari.

There should be common code between Office for Mac and Office for Windows, but Microsoft actually does a great job making Office feel like it belongs on the system. Also, I find Office to be more stable than a lot of Apple software on the Mac. Remember that Windows and Mac has a very different UI system.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Chrome is far heavier than FF, at least it is right now. Whether or not it is faster for some things doesn't change the fact that it uses far more RAM and uses more and more as the tab count increases, especially with Flash-ridden sites.[/citation]
Today, I accidentally opened Chrome on my laptop, and it was hogging so many resources (checking addon compatibility), that the cursor was choppy. WTF? It's as smooth as a volcanic rock on that machine. Chrome is as smooth as silk. Guess which one I use...

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]oneblackened[/nom]Agreed. Chrome uses a stupid amount of RAM. One tab, ONE TAB, uses 90MB of RAM. 2 plugins in addition? 150MB.[/citation]
ok....who cares about how much memory it uses when most computers come with at least 4 gb of ram

Status
Not open for further replies.