Did Fry's Just sell me a used CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EllisP

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
Well, I just bought a processor yesterday, and of course I couldn't have checked the box before I left. Anyways, after I got back, I opened the box and immediately noticed that there is a faint dark square around the center of the processor, from having a heatsink installed. Inside of the case, I also noticed that there is dust, and a few scratches. Now, I'm no expert, but if you ask me, this looks like a used processor. What do you guys think?

Also, does anyone know if the Intel G965 chipset supports 45nm? I know some OEM's like Asus, and Foxconn have released drivers adding support for 45nm CPU's on the P965, but I was wondering if anyone knew if the G965 does? Unfortunately, I do not think it does. Me being 16 with "limited funding", was only able to afford to upgrade my current pc (Gateway DX430B) so I am using a Gateway branded G965. I just can't believe I forgot to check if it supported 45nm, I did check that it was socket 775 compatible, and 65 watts, but completely forgot to check XD Thanks for any help!

IMAG0001.jpg

IMAG0002.jpg

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention that the box it came in didn't even include thermal paste. If it's relevant at all, its a Celeron Dual-Core E3300 @ 2.5GHZ and a 800mhz FSB. I know it isn't great, but I'm on a really tight budget, and its definitely a big upgrade from a Pentium Dual Core @ 1.6GHZ, lol.

Solution
If you look at the stock heatsink you will see the gray pad like area. That is the stock thermalpaste.

If you got the OEM CPU without a fan, or you want better thermalpaste go to Radioshack and get some arctic silver 5.

That mark can be from the factory when they tested it.

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
If you look at the stock heatsink you will see the gray pad like area. That is the stock thermalpaste.

If you got the OEM CPU without a fan, or you want better thermalpaste go to Radioshack and get some arctic silver 5.

That mark can be from the factory when they tested it.

Solution

EllisP

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010

Thanks, that resolved a lot! I never thought to check the bottom of the heatsink, lol. I actually did pick up Antec Formula 5, which I heard is almost as good as Arctic silver 5. I guess the only thing now is to download the latest BIOS drivers, and see if it works, if it doesn't, then I could just return it. Thanks a lot for your help!

Well, it is up to you what you want to do with it, but this is obviously a returned item.

The factory does not test CPU's by mounting heatsinks on them. Frys does sell returned merchandise, but it is supposed be labeled as returned.

In my opinion, buying OEM processors is rarely a good deal. There is no warranty, and no heatsink, they are easily remarked, and they only cost $10-$15 less than the retail CPU. Poor value in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.