[SOLVED] Did Gigabyte mislead me, or am I not reading this correctly??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
Hey guys!

Can someone please clear something up for me? I have a computer that uses this Gigabyte Mobo... GA-H97M-D3H rev. 1.0

And in this MoBo's user manual (both the online, and offline version of it), on page 10 (about installing the RAM modules) it says something that seems to contradict itself, and I don't know which one of those 2 to believe. Let me show you what I mean by using images:

So, this is my MoBo, right?
mobo2.jpg

And as you can see from that yellow elipse the 4 slots into which to install the RAM memory sticks are numbered (starting from top to bottom) as follows:
  • DDR3_4
  • DDR3_2
  • DDR3_3
  • DDR3_1
Right? Right...

Now, according to this motherboard's user manual (again, both the offline and online version have the same wording, you can easily check this for yourselves by visiting the link below and scrolling to page 10), under the "Installing the Memory" section (1-4), you can see the 2 pieces of contradictory information that is confusing me and which I have underlined in red (the first part) and blue (the 2nd part, which is the part that contradicts the part in red). Check the image underneath the link below to see what I mean.

The user manual... https://download1.gigabyte.com/File...-d3h_e.pdf?v=66533db1480d10a7b185533154af9592

um2.jpg

So, according to the first part (underlined with a red thick bar) the 2 channels are 2/4 and 1/3. But, the image of the MoBo itself shows that the 2 channels are actually 4/3 and 2/1 instead of 2/4 and 1/3 like the manual says. So, which one is the truth? Which are the actual channels: 2/4 and 1/3, or 4/3 and 2/1??

Because this bit of info is very important if we want to get the "optimum performance" that Gigabyte says in their manual (as underlined with the blue, thick line by me in the image above), and I do want to get the "optimum performance" out of my RAM modules, but according to the words underlined in blue this "optimum performance" will be obtained if I install the 2 memory sticks in slots 1 and 2 because, presumably, they need to be installed into the same channel, right? But the right channel is 1/2 according to the blue underlined text in the user manual and according to the MoBo itself (which is also where I have the sticks slotted into, as well), but then again what's the deal with the text underlined in red? That text looks very misleading, and it might not matter to people who are experienced in setting up computers properly, but it sure as heck is confusing and misleading for newbies like me who try to do things by the book.... um.... yeah :)

So, probably too much ado for nothing, but hey, when something irks you it just does, you know.... So, what says you about this evil plot of Gigabyte to detour a random nobody at the edge of the world from properly installing 2 memory sticks that work just fine anyway? Well? What says you?

Solution
Proper RAM installation of 2x sticks into your MoBo are;
DDR3_1 and DDR3_2, just like it's said in manual (blue underline). <- This gives you dual-channel RAM.

If you were to install your RAM into e.g DDR3_1 and DDR3_3, both sticks would be in channel B and you'd have single-channel RAM (red underline).

Did it make sense?

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
In real life applications, i haven't spot a difference.
good! That's what I like to hear... well, I don't just like hearing it, I would also like it to be true :D

(Win is sometimes slow to figure itself out)
I'm not surprised. Even on this Intel / Windows-specific build that I have and which - for God knows what reason - doesn't work with Linux, in the few and rare instances that I've managed to make Mint boot on, Windows still took more time to boot than Mint and I've used Windows 8.1 at that time, I assume that Windows 10 boots even slower.

Now granted, I never bothered with fast boot and whatnot which I assume would have sped up Windows booting considerably, but that's not an excuse for a Windows-specific build to run slow :)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
and I've used Windows 8.1 at that time, I assume that Windows 10 boots even slower.

Win 8.1 is a flop. And poor OS to use. It is similar to Win Vista, on how "good" it is.

Win 10, in the other hand, is far better. Win 10 is like Win 7, but with some upgrades. Overall, a good OS and loads up quite fast (as long as there isn't mandatory Win update in the way).

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
Win 8.1 is a flop. And poor OS to use. It is similar to Win Vista, on how "good" it is.

Win 10, in the other hand, is far better. Win 10 is like Win 7, but with some upgrades. Overall, a good OS and loads up quite fast (as long as there isn't mandatory Win update in the way).
oh, so I guess I'll stick to 10 then...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
oh, so I guess I'll stick to 10 then...

Here's a good article ranking all Windows versions, from worst to best,
link: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-versions-windows-of-all-time/

And i agree with the ranking. ME, Vista and 8 (including 8.1) are the worst ones. While XP and Win 7 are the best ever made. Win 10 is also good but the newest Win 11 is worse.

With this, and by the time Win 10 supports ends, i hope M$ comes out with Win 12, which is another good OS. Else-ways, need to accept the drawbacks of Win 11 or switch to GNU/Linux.

Reactions: monere

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
Here's a good article ranking all Windows versions, from worst to best,
link: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-versions-windows-of-all-time/

And i agree with the ranking. ME, Vista and 8 (including 8.1) are the worst ones. While XP and Win 7 are the best ever made. Win 10 is also good but the newest Win 11 is worse.

With this, and by the time Win 10 supports ends, i hope M$ comes out with Win 12, which is another good OS. Else-ways, need to accept the drawbacks of Win 11 or switch to GNU/Linux.
yeah, Windows 11 gets a lot of bad reviews :)

In what concerns me, though my mind is made up and I will forever switch to Linux with the new AMD-based build that I'll get soon. But I will still run Windows in a VM because my work requires it.... oh, and the games, too :D

Reactions: Aeacus