[SOLVED] DID GSYNC DAMAGE MY DISPLAY

emailadress2018

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
Hello!
I have posted this in the Displays category also, but didn't get any response (except someone saying that I am wrong and Gsync is off if it says so). I guess that subforum is not that popular...

Relevant PC components:
AOC G2460V, 24' 1080p\75hz- Freesync 1ms response time
Nvidia GTX 1070
I do also have another Asus 1080p Monitor (from a 3-monitor surround setup I had until 1 year ago) but 90% of the time I do not use it..(its turned off from Power button, allthough Windows in Display Options can still ''see'' it).But I think this is irrelevant.

I am experiencing a strange issue.. You all know Nvidia unlocked Gsync for all Freesync monitors.. So I installed new driver and activated the Gsync option in the Nvidia Control Panel - and turned off the Fast Sync Vsync Option that I had used for the last 2 years- and GSYNC worked (amazingly, considering that my Monitor is not one of the recommended \ doesn't theoretically fully support Gsync). Then a few days ago, I read by random chance that (I didnt know that) even Gsync increases input lag! So I decide to disable Gsync and see how unbearable the screen tearing would be.. (In Bf3, Bf4 and Bf1 I constantly get over 120fps on ultra settings with this GPU). I deactivate the Gsync setting in Nvidia Control panel (the monitor quicky turns on and off a few times -like when updating gpu drivers) and leave Vsync also off and restart PC. The ''Problem'' is that in every game I test I get NO screen tearing at all!! How can this be? I know how screen tearing looks like because I have seen it years ago before I discovered Fast sync (i never wanted to use the ''normal'' vsync). The FPS shows full 100-120 fps ,so its not being capped at monitors refresh rate, but neither was it when using Gsync.. so I cant know if Gsync is still on or not. I don't perceive any input lag difference compared to before.. (maybe 75hz is the limiting factor here). DID I ''BREAK'' SOMETHING IN THE CIRCUITRY IN MY MONITOR BY USING GSYNC OPTION ON THIS ''UNSUPPORTED'' MONITOR?
I mean I am not complaining.. ZERO input lag (no sync whatsoever) AND no screen tearing at same time is everyones dream..but this isn't normally possible..especially with a 150€ monitor like mine. Thats why I ask.

Thank you for your time!

Solution
The more FPS your game delivers, the less will be the tearing noticeable as different frames being shown at the same time on screen will be much closer in time and then both frames be pretty similar.

Imagine getting tearing running a game at 1FPS, if you rotate the camera and tearing shows the first FPS in one half of the screen and a second one in the other half, the difference between what both frames are showing would be massive.

The input lag that GSync and Freesync produce is almost impossible to notice and just should be deactivated for very competitive gaming. And even in that case a minimum tearing with high FPS and refresh rates could be noticed or feel like microstuttering and annoy the player so he would prefer this very...

Phazoner

Distinguished
The more FPS your game delivers, the less will be the tearing noticeable as different frames being shown at the same time on screen will be much closer in time and then both frames be pretty similar.

Imagine getting tearing running a game at 1FPS, if you rotate the camera and tearing shows the first FPS in one half of the screen and a second one in the other half, the difference between what both frames are showing would be massive.

The input lag that GSync and Freesync produce is almost impossible to notice and just should be deactivated for very competitive gaming. And even in that case a minimum tearing with high FPS and refresh rates could be noticed or feel like microstuttering and annoy the player so he would prefer this very little input lag to being distracted (for example, I was reeeeeeeeally good playing Titanfall 1 but I played better without sound because it just makes me nervous and therefore play worse even knowing that without sound I couldn't hear enemies or shots).

Solution