Did i bought the wrong SSD or MB?

TheDutchGuy

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Hello everyone.

I have a question that i cant realy understand what and how it does works.

I have a MB - Gigabyte x58A-UD3R and a SSD - Ocz Agility 3 120gb hooked up on SATA 3 (6Gbps)
And people say its not the fastest and stable one and Does not support TRIm.\? you shut buy a Crucial M4 120gb on SATA300.
Also dont use Sata600 because you have Marvel Chip on your Motherboard, and its bad. :eek:

For the SSD on the box of the SSD it says "TRIM support, MLC flash memory, Sandforce driven, Sata3 (6gbps)
And i checked in my BIOS and there it says "ICH SATA Control Mode - [AHCI] and i read it has to be on AHCI.

What is this all about, can you guys help me out.
i would really appreciate it.

There’s nothing wrong with your motherboard or SSD.

All X58 motherboards use Marvell controllers for their 6Gb/s ports.
There’s nothing wrong with the Marvell controllers, they just can’t handle the speeds of the newest SSDs that have been released in the past year or two.

The Agility 3 supports TRIM. As long as your Operating System supports TRIM you will be ok. It will be automatically enabled, you don't have to do anything.

Page 56 of your motherboard manual will show you how to change the Marvell ports (GSATA3_6 & GSATA3_7) to AHCI mode.

TheDutchGuy

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Hey dereck47 Thanks for help it helped alot.
Also checked the manual and there is says how to.

I want to work with 2 SSD but not in Raid0 just one for windows and the otherone for Data.
But now i'm wondering what the best option is.

to Use my Agility3 on Sata 300 or 600? for Data or Windows? and to buy a better SSD on sata 300 or 600? for data or windows?
in combination with my motherboard :sweat: