Question Did I break my Graphics Card

qrobertw

Prominent
May 3, 2019
This is my first time building a pc, and although my pc’s fans are turning, and seems like it’s working fine, my monitor isn’t. When I was installing my gpu, I was an idiot and didn’t take the plastic off the gpus cores. I tried to fit it into the gpu slot for about an hour, until I realized my mistake. Yesterday, I just got my monitor, and when I tried to turn it on, with all the cables plugged in, it says no HDMI signal, even though the HDMI cable is plugged firmly into the gpu. Could someone help me? (Btw my gpu is a rtx 2070

ishaankaushik

Honorable
BANNED
Sep 7, 2017
This is my first time building a pc, and although my pc’s fans are turning, and seems like it’s working fine, my monitor isn’t. When I was installing my gpu, I was an idiot and didn’t take the plastic off the gpus cores. I tried to fit it into the gpu slot for about an hour, until I realized my mistake. Yesterday, I just got my monitor, and when I tried to turn it on, with all the cables plugged in, it says no HDMI signal, even though the HDMI cable is plugged firmly into the gpu. Could someone help me? (Btw my gpu is a rtx 2070
If you don't see major scratches or anything like that it should be fine. Is the GPU fan running?

qrobertw

Prominent
May 3, 2019
Please post your entire system specification including PSU make and model.
What do you mean plastic on the GPU cores? Or do you mean the plastic covering on the contact pins at the bottom of the card?
I5 9600k
RTX 2070
EVGA 600 BQ bronze 80+ power supply
WD Blue SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Hard Drive
Corsair Vengeance 16gb RAM
ASUS Prime Z390 Motherboard
Enermax ETS T-50 Fan Cooling

Yes it was the plastic that was covering the contact pins on the bottom of the card.

Gorguruga

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
Did you install your RAM properly into the motherboard? If it's not installed properly then you'd get the same "No HDMI Signal". Also if the RAM is faulty. Is your motherboard connected to an internal speaker so you hear beeps when you turn it on? If you can hear those beeps they can give you feedback as to what the problem might be.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I tried to fit it into the gpu slot for about an hour, until I realized my mistake.

So did you actually fit the GPU into the slot with the plastic still on? There is every potential you've damaged to GPU slot. Easy way to find out would be to put the GPU into the other PCIe slot or use another GPU and see if you get any progress.

But regardless, follow all the steps in this guide first to ensure the key things are covered first: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/