Question Did I break my pc?

Apr 15, 2019
So I was trying to test an old gts 450 on my pc so my friend could use it. I turned the pc off, plugged everything off except the power cable. Of course the power supply was turned off but as I was reaching for the lock that locks the gpu in place, I felt a slight ground. At first I panicked because I thought I may broke my pc but instead continued to swap my current video card to the gts 450. "No display" showed on the monitor, so then I swapped the gts 450 back to my current gpu then the same message appeared. I tried swapping out the ram from the ram slots, re-seating everything, tried using other pcie lanes and still got no display. Oddly though when I plug my keyboard, the led's light up but my mouse doesn't and I'm sure the motherboard is getting power because the fans are working fine. Did I break something or did I just miss something?

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Ugh, getting a shock no matter how slight near your gpu and or motherboard/cpu setup is NEVER good. You can try to unplug your gpu and connect to your integrated and see if that at least starts up. If not, you might be in some trouble. You can also try to turn off your psu, then pop out your cmos battery and pop it back in, then test and see if you get some signs of life, Good luck!

Apr 15, 2019
Ugh, getting a shock no matter how slight near your gpu and or motherboard/cpu setup is NEVER good. You can try to unplug your gpu and connect to your integrated and see if that at least starts up. If not, you might be in some trouble. You can also try to turn off your psu, then pop out your cmos battery and pop it back in, then test and see if you get some signs of life, Good luck!
Will try, thanks!

Apr 15, 2019
So I was trying to test an old gts 450 on my pc so my friend could use it. I turned the pc off, plugged everything off except the power cable. Of course the power supply was turned off but as I was reaching for the lock that locks the gpu in place, I felt a slight ground. At first I panicked because I thought I may broke my pc but instead continued to swap my current video card to the gts 450. "No display" showed on the monitor, so then I swapped the gts 450 back to my current gpu then the same message appeared. I tried swapping out the ram from the ram slots, re-seating everything, tried using other pcie lanes and still got no display. Oddly though when I plug my keyboard, the led's light up but my mouse doesn't and I'm sure the motherboard is getting power because the fans are working fine. Did I break something or did I just miss something?
Also my pc specs
I7 4790
MSI B85 G43 Gaming
16 gb DDR3 1866 ballistix sport
Zotac gtx 970
600 watt seasonic psu

Not quite sure what 'plugged everything off except the power cable' really means, but, ....for future reference, merely doing a shutdown does not really fully turn off a PC, as the MB still has some 'trickle power'/standby voltages internally...; I don't consider it safe to swap any cards, RAM modules, etc., in this state...

If the PSU has a switch in the rear (not all do), that is one preferred method, but, shutting down and then actually pulling the actual power cable out of the rear of the PSU , and then hitting the case's power switch a few times to drain any onboard capacitors is tried and true, and, virtually foolproof.