Question Did I brick my 1050 Ti ?

Nov 6, 2022
So I was getting some black screens periodically where the TV would say "No Signal" for a second or two. I looked up the problem and someone mentioned a BIOS flash. I looked up a couple videos on BIOS flashing, seemed to be going okay, but after the reboot my PC says:
"Please Power Down And Connect The PCIE Power Cable(s) For This Graphics Card"
There are no power connectors on this card, it's powered by the PCIe slot. Is it bricked?! Can I not boot to Windows (even Safe Mode?) and reinstall original BIOS?

Pleeeeeease help.

So I was getting some black screens periodically where the TV would say "No Signal" for a second or two. I looked up the problem and someone mentioned a BIOS flash. I looked up a couple videos on BIOS flashing, seemed to be going okay, but after the reboot my PC says:
"Please Power Down And Connect The PCIE Power Cable(s) For This Graphics Card"
There are no power connectors on this card, it's powered by the PCIe slot. Is it bricked?! Can I not boot to Windows (even Safe Mode?) and reinstall original BIOS?

Pleeeeeease help.
this is common mistake to flash a pcie power cable vbios to non cable. the only way is to use onboard graphics forcefully OR use a ch341a programmer.

Reactions: khbaur330162
Nov 6, 2022
I cannot force integrated graphics with the PC that the card was installed on, can't find it anywhere in BIOS, just cheapo HP office motherboard. However, my personal PC does support forcing integrated graphics it would seem... However when I set settings in BIOS to force integrated graphics, save and exit, it still uses GPU graphics??? No signal from motherboard HDMI port. I rebooted and it booted to Windows but I was using GPU graphics (my stock GPU for my personal PC, not the 1050ti that I bricked) and later the PC said Intel Graphics had been installed. So I figured give it another shot. Rebooted and plugged monitor into motherboard -> still no video, only with GPU. If I install the bricked 1050ti it doesn't go anywhere. I'm afraid to brick my personal PC doing all of this, I can't even get back into BIOS with stock GPU, it's just a black screen, no output from motherboard, output from GPU but just black, it's like the BIOS tweak only took for the BIOS menu and my motherboard refuses to output any video...

Any help? I'm sorry this is such a cluster frick, I have no idea what I'm doing and using cheap HP computers with cheap stock mobo's. I read you can force video output with a PCI card while PCIe GPU installed, but I doubt my BIOS settings will allow me to do this, or I won't be able to get into BIOS at all. Am I missing something crucial?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I appreciate the leads you've already given me, it's gotten me that much further towards nailing this issue.

I cannot force integrated graphics with the PC that the card was installed on, can't find it anywhere in BIOS, just cheapo HP office motherboard. However, my personal PC does support forcing integrated graphics it would seem... However when I set settings in BIOS to force integrated graphics, save and exit, it still uses GPU graphics??? No signal from motherboard HDMI port. I rebooted and it booted to Windows but I was using GPU graphics (my stock GPU for my personal PC, not the 1050ti that I bricked) and later the PC said Intel Graphics had been installed. So I figured give it another shot. Rebooted and plugged monitor into motherboard -> still no video, only with GPU. If I install the bricked 1050ti it doesn't go anywhere. I'm afraid to brick my personal PC doing all of this, I can't even get back into BIOS with stock GPU, it's just a black screen, no output from motherboard, output from GPU but just black, it's like the BIOS tweak only took for the BIOS menu and my motherboard refuses to output any video...

Any help? I'm sorry this is such a cluster frick, I have no idea what I'm doing and using cheap HP computers with cheap stock mobo's. I read you can force video output with a PCI card while PCIe GPU installed, but I doubt my BIOS settings will allow me to do this, or I won't be able to get into BIOS at all. Am I missing something crucial?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I appreciate the leads you've already given me, it's gotten me that much further towards nailing this issue.
if ur mobo have 2x pcie x16 slot maybe you could use another gpu for main display

for bios option usually it is called multi monitor something, and force the primary output to IGD instead of PEG.

Reactions: khbaur330162
Nov 6, 2022
Ty @Koekieezz for sticking with me. So I have some updates.

It seems as though the HDMI to DVI-D cable I had doesn't play well with my main monitor. Upon plugging HDMI into motherboard, DVI-D into cheap Goodwill monitor, I am able to boot to BIOS again. I am now trying to somehow tell the PC to boot to rufus/DOS off of USB drive, but nothing will take. Please look at these photos and tell me what you guys think.

1. This is when I boot to BIOS menu:

2. This is when I press F9 for Boot Device Options:
So if I hit enter on UEFI Boot Sources nothing happens. If I hit enter on Legacy Boot Sources nothing happens. If I hit enter on Windows Boot Manager I get this error:

3. So I have tried to go another route ->-> ->
Boot back into BIOS menu and press F10 this time for BIOS options:
If I press enter on USB HDD and move it to top of the order list, save and exit, reboot, it still boots to SSD and I get the same PCIe Power Cables must be plugged in error. So I changed it back to default.

4. If I try enabling Legacy Boot Sources I get this error:

5. So I go here:

6. Then I get this error:

I am running Windows 10. This last error realllllly sketches me out. I do not want to brick my personal PC, I would die.

Do you guys know of any other way to get my PC to boot to USB thumb drive? I have the proper GPU bios loaded onto thumb drive I think, I have rufus installed on the thumb drive and have been able to boot the other computer to DOS from it, I just can't get the PC with forced integrated graphics to boot to DOS off of it. If I can get into DOS with the 1050ti hooked up it's game over, I should be able to install the proper BIOS ez-pz. I am so close!!! Any ideas?

Ty @Koekieezz for sticking with me. So I have some updates.

It seems as though the HDMI to DVI-D cable I had doesn't play well with my main monitor. Upon plugging HDMI into motherboard, DVI-D into cheap Goodwill monitor, I am able to boot to BIOS again. I am now trying to somehow tell the PC to boot to rufus/DOS off of USB drive, but nothing will take. Please look at these photos and tell me what you guys think.

1. This is when I boot to BIOS menu:

2. This is when I press F9 for Boot Device Options:
So if I hit enter on UEFI Boot Sources nothing happens. If I hit enter on Legacy Boot Sources nothing happens. If I hit enter on Windows Boot Manager I get this error:

3. So I have tried to go another route ->-> ->
Boot back into BIOS menu and press F10 this time for BIOS options:
If I press enter on USB HDD and move it to top of the order list, save and exit, reboot, it still boots to SSD and I get the same PCIe Power Cables must be plugged in error. So I changed it back to default.

4. If I try enabling Legacy Boot Sources I get this error:

5. So I go here:

6. Then I get this error:

I am running Windows 10. This last error realllllly sketches me out. I do not want to brick my personal PC, I would die.

Do you guys know of any other way to get my PC to boot to USB thumb drive? I have the proper GPU bios loaded onto thumb drive I think, I have rufus installed on the thumb drive and have been able to boot the other computer to DOS from it, I just can't get the PC with forced integrated graphics to boot to DOS off of it. If I can get into DOS with the 1050ti hooked up it's game over, I should be able to install the proper BIOS ez-pz. I am so close!!! Any ideas?
whats on the "Advanced" Tab? need info.

Nov 6, 2022
If you set it to Intel and plug the monitor into the motherboard, you get no signal? Because that's what you need if you want to try flashing the 1050s bios.
If you set it to Intel and plug the monitor into the motherboard, you get no signal? Because that's what you need if you want to try flashing the 1050s bios.
No, I get signal, but it gives me the "Please connect PCIe Power Cable(s) to all Graphics Cards" error, it won't boot to Windows. I double checked, the monitor was plugged into the motherboard and NOT the graphics card, still get the error, so I'm not sure what the issue is with my PC. However, I CAN get into BIOS with 1050 plugged in and forced integrated graphics!!! If I could only figure out how to force boot into DOS/rufus from the BIOS menu I can run NV Flash from DOS. I just can't figure out how to boot off of USB thumb drive without bricking my personal PC. Do I have to turn Secure Boot off? The error says if I turn Secure Boot ON it could brick my PC. But to gain legacy boot options it says I need to Secure Boot OFF. Soooo, am I just really scared for nothing? I think if I can enable Legacy Boot Options I can just boot to USB straight from BIOS menu, right?

Nov 6, 2022
Was the cable plugged in? You do need the GPU as set up as you can or else you can't flash it. Finding a friend with a second PCIe slot might be the way to go.
There IS no 8pin power connector on my 1050ti, it's fully powered off the PCIe slot, I literally can't connect it like that.

My brother might have a mobo with two PCIe x16 slots, I will ask him. Not sure how you keep NV Flash from flashing BIOS to the good GPU, though, will have to look into that.

So you guys don't recommend booting into DOS off thumb drive? Is it too sketchy to turn "Secure Boot" off?

Nov 6, 2022
I caved and enabled Legacy boot options, booted to thumb drive, and NV Flash said it could not locate an Nvidia GPU. Why is my GTX 1050ti not recognized by NV Flash? The BIOS that I flashed it to were for GTX 1050ti and I used NV Flash to do it... Any thoughts?

Nov 6, 2022
Ok, I tried running 32-bit version of nvflash in FreeDOS (obviously didn't work), but then afterwards I tried booting to Windows ONE MORE TIME and it freaking worked! I have no idea what the issue was before, I swear to you the monitor was plugged into the mobo, nothing changed. Anyways, ran 64-bit nvflash in command prompt, flashed stock vbios back onto card, everything is running again.

If I may, though, and if anyone is still reading, the original issue was flickering black screen/"No Signal" every couple minutes. I read it could be a virtual memory thing so I allocated more than my RAM+GPU memory onto the SSD and I haven't seen it flicker since, but then again I haven't really been trying to get it to fail (haven't really played games since I allocated more virtual memory due to BIOS flashing saga). Do you guys think this will fix my issue? Is there something obvious I could try to fix the video drops?

Anyways, tysm guys, you helped a ton. Was literally as simple as forcing integrated graphics and booting to Windows, I just needed a week to get there.

Reactions: Koekieezz
Nov 6, 2022
I guess flickering is the wrong term, the video just drops for like a second to the point TV says "No Signal", it did it two or three times on me which sent me on the hunt for solutions. Since then I have increased Vram (more than double what it was previously) and updated to latest Nvidia drivers. Seems ok now, haven't had it drop once since then.

Ty for getting back to me @4745454b, I appreciate it. Seems solved now, so I will let this thread die. Hopefully my saga helps someone in the future.

Reactions: 4745454b

TRENDING THREADS