[SOLVED] Did i break my cpu socket?

apelsinimahl

Reputable
Jun 11, 2017
So i changed my intel stock cooler for silentiumpc and if i removed intel cooler i also removed cpu from socket becouse i wanted to clean cpu fully from thermal paste but after new cpu cooler my pc have black screen and ez debug flash is flashing cpu and dram. The first boot worked well and went to the desktop but after 5minutes pc freezes. After next boot computer is going in and all fans working with cpu cooler but only black screen. After that i removed cpu cooler and checked the pins and for me seems have i broken the pins? can i fix the pins with something or is there chance to buy new socket?
specs - msi z370-A pro
cpu - i5-9600k

Pictures - View: https://imgur.com/a/VGkVgNn

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
"bent pins" are maybe fixable. It takes patience and a steady hand.

"broken pins" are not fixable.

Booting up without a cooler does not verify full functionality. You won't get long enough run time to check things.

Before - No boot
1a9v061.jpg

After - boot success
oenFyWk.jpg

to fix:
JYUnC45.png

apelsinimahl

Reputable
Jun 11, 2017
You could try bending the pins back using a needle or mechanical pen.

As for replacing the socket on your board, unless you work in the PCB rework business, the socket swap may cost more than a new board is worth.
If i have tried to fixed pins with needle then can i boot without cpu cooler for just checking if it will work and shut down instantly and then put cpu cooler on if it is working

USAFRet

Titan

Booting up without a cooler does not verify full functionality. You won't get long enough run time to check things.

Before - No boot
1a9v061.jpg

After - boot success
oenFyWk.jpg

to fix:
JYUnC45.png

Solution

apelsinimahl

Reputable
Jun 11, 2017

Before - No boot
1a9v061.jpg

After - boot success
oenFyWk.jpg

to fix:
JYUnC45.png
How bad is it looking from the video? At the start of video its bad quality but focusing later.
Video - View: https://imgur.com/a/S887bPP