[SOLVED] Did i broke my CPU when installing external cooler? Black adhesive/plastic oozing beneath the heatspreader.

Dec 1, 2020
I just bought ryzen 5 5600x. I did the BIOS update through flash bios (MSI b550m pro allows you to update bios without cpu/ram/gpu).

I installed the CPU, and then installed Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED. Man, installing that cooler is not easy. You really have to squeeze your CPU real hard so that the screw reach the base.

After i installed everything, i turned on the pc. The cpu fan works, but the screen did not show anything. The LED indicator on the motherboard shows a solid white light on the CPU. I read the board's manual, it means that the CPU is problematic.

At first i thought that the BIOS installation had failed. I reinstalled the bios (making sure that i downloaded the correct bios too). It still showing the white LED light and no screen at all.

Then i uninstalled the cooler, took my CPU out. I can feel its warm (meaning that the CPU worked). However, i found something that scares me: there were noticeable black adhesive/plastic oozing beneath the heatspreader. I know it wasn't there before i installed the cooler, so it must be due to the immense pressure i applied when i installed the cooler.

Does that mean i broke the CPU? Or these black adhesive oozing is normal?

Heres the image of the black ooze

https://ibb.co/L0szJ3J

Last edited:
Solution
Black adhesive/plastic oozing out.....

Take a close look at the motherboard and cooler instructions.

There may have been some plastic spacers that needed to be removed first.

Would explain "not easy" if you did not remove the spacers.

Edit - above posted before I noted the CPU image. My preceding thoughts may not be relevant but will leave them in place for the record.

Do post the full system hardware specs as posted by @rgd1101.

Ralston18

Titan
Black adhesive/plastic oozing out.....

Take a close look at the motherboard and cooler instructions.

There may have been some plastic spacers that needed to be removed first.

Would explain "not easy" if you did not remove the spacers.

Edit - above posted before I noted the CPU image. My preceding thoughts may not be relevant but will leave them in place for the record.

Do post the full system hardware specs as posted by @rgd1101.

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 1, 2020
Ah sorry, my system are:

cpu: ryzen 5 5600x
Cpu cooler: cooler master hyper 212 LED
Mobo: MSI b550m pro vdh/wi-fi
Ram: corsair 16gb 3600mhz
Psu: corsair RM650 gold
Gpu: MSI RX 5600 XT
Storage: wester digital 1tb ssd nvme
case: phanteks 400a

I googled around and noticed that these black adhesive are quite normal? Like it turns out almost every ryzen cpu have it. But why im still getting the solid white light from the CPU debug indicator?

im returning my cpu and mobo to the shop tomorrow. Might be failing mobo? Will keep you posted.

Dec 1, 2020
hey all, after returning the CPU and motherboard, turns out the motherboard is faulty. they tested the CPU (it worked fine) and will send the new motherboard tomorrow and i hope everything will be okay.