Question Did I burn out onboard sound? MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX

Jun 1, 2020
Hello everyone - first post here! I am in desperate need of help:

Question: Did I burn out the onboard sound on my MSI Tomahawk B450 MAX?

PC Specs: I upgraded my PC recently with the following parts:
-MSI Tomahawk B450 MAX
-3700X CPU
-GSkillz Trident Z 16gb (2x8gb) 3600mhz
-MSI Geforce 1070Ti

Situation/Problem:
-I have built this PC 5 days ago
-Initially - the audio was working when I plugged in my Logitech 2.1 sound
-Yesterday - I received my HyperX Cloud Alpha headsets - plugged the audio + mic into back of motherboard (unplugged Logitech audio jack) - SOUND STOPPED WORKING
-Logitech sound no longer works
-I hear static/buzzing only when I plug audio cables in
-The front panel audio doesn't work either - same static/buzzing noise

Steps Taken:
-I uninstalled existing Realtek audio drive
-I reinstalled the same latest Realtek driver from MSI support page for my motherboard - no change
-I uninstalled the MSI Realtek Audio Console - no change
-I used my old USB Steelseries headset - audio/microphone works

Is it possible there was static on the headset plugs for the HyperX Cloud Alpha headset which led to breaking the soundchip on the motherboard?

Motherboard is less than 1 week old - any suggestions? I am considering purchasing PCIe sound card.

Thank you all for your input and assistance!!

Kind Regards,
phytaz

-I used my old USB Steelseries headset - audio/microphone works
This works because it has its own sound card with the headset.

Sounds like there is some interference with the audio ports. Do you have any speakers also connected?

Also check your HD_AUDIO header and make sure the cable is connected and not loose or touching anything that could be causing interference.

What PSU do you have? Cheap or bad PSU can cause this issue as well.

Jun 1, 2020
This works because it has its own sound card with the headset.

Sounds like there is some interference with the audio ports. Do you have any speakers also connected?

Also check your HD_AUDIO header and make sure the cable is connected and not loose or touching anything that could be causing interference.

What PSU do you have? Cheap or bad PSU can cause this issue as well.

Thank you for your reply.

1. Yes, perhaps there is some interference with the audio ports. BUT there is no audio coming out at all - just STATIC and HISSING noise which increases as I increase the volume.
-No other speakers are connected.

2. I have checked by HD_AUDIO header - connected welll and not touching anything. As I indicated, my audio was working for a few days UNTIL I unplugged my speaker cable and inserted by HyperX headset cables.

3. I have a Corsair CX750 ive been using for the last few years - haven't had any issues with this.

Thank again! Would greatly appreciate all other input!

-phytaz