Question Did I buy a fake 2060 super?

Jun 5, 2021
So I have purchased a 2060 super from a 2nd hand seller on FB. The seller said that it was from a pre-built system. I tried it on my desktop and I just can't seem to make it work. Tried using GPU-Z and found that the memory size is zero! does anyone think this has a custom bios? or is it some sort broken? I was able to make it work but there's green lines everywhere... hope I can still revive this card. 😅 View: https://imgur.com/a/njX87s7

Last edited:
is it some sort broken?
i would imagine it is a malfunctioned card and that is why they were selling.
whatever caused that can be impossible to tell without the seller's input.

have you actually communicated with the seller since the purchase?
if it was listed as a functioning device i would definitely be complaining and commenting on Facebook regarding the scam.
does anyone think this has a custom bios?
compare the listed BIOS to those available for a retail card.

check MSI forums and other hardware sites with GPU dedicated forums & threads.
ask other users of the same card.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021
thanks for that insight. The guy from FB blocked me which I hate to admit, but that just confirmed that I have been scammed 🤦‍♂️

I have checked online and techpowerup says that the bios is unverified tho it is listed... it is still in warranty and got all the stickers so I might go that route before opening this card up. thanks!

it is still in warranty and got all the stickers
if it really was a part of an OEM prebuilt than the warranty would probably be tied to a serial number associated with the entire build.
for service from the builder the entire system may need to be RMA'd.
since you only have the GPU i doubt it would be possible even if you knew where it had originally been built\purchased.

if not actually from a prebuilt system;
MSI would more than likely need proof of purchase from a legit retailer to provide any warranty services.
most people would've activated the warranty shortly after purchase so any warranty offered by MSI is probably tied to an already existing account. no help would be available through warranty services unless you had this account information.

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, not a chance you'll get warranty coverage on this. When an OEM sells a warranty to you, they hold the warranty with the GPU seller and you hold a warranty with the OEM, or more accurately, the previous seller. Once the prebuilt's warranty is gone, so is the warranty for everything else in most cases.

Unfortunately, it seems you were scammed. Facebook only protects you if you buy their purchase protection at checkout. If you didn't get that, there's nothing they'll do. If you charged it to a credit card, then your only real avenue is to file a claim with the credit card issuer.

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
This is the problem with buying in person. You have no recourse if you get scammed. I doubt the police will take the case seriously if it only amounts to a loss of a couple hundred dollars, as it will cost them more than that in man hours to investigate. It will be low priority at best. At least with ebay, you can file a complaint and 99.9% of the time, they will side with the buyer and refund you. The seller will have no control over the money once ebay decides in your favor.

Jun 5, 2021
I have also noticed that the card has no sli pins which is the first time I saw one... View: https://imgur.com/a/LOWLxAC

If that's the case about warranty, then I guess I can try to open this card and try the heatgun method. Although I also got an update about the seller.

Using another fb profile, I saw that we have mutual friends. I now have some information about him. I just want to return the card to him and have a refund, if not, then it is what it is, lawsuit incoming. 😕

DSzymborski

Titan
I have also noticed that the card has no sli pins which is the first time I saw one... View: https://imgur.com/a/LOWLxAC

If that's the case about warranty, then I guess I can try to open this card and try the heatgun method. Although I also got an update about the seller.

Using another fb profile, I saw that we have mutual friends. I now have some information about him. I just want to return the card to him and have a refund, if not, then it is what it is, lawsuit incoming. 😕

The lack of SLI pins isn't notable; RTX 2060 cards don't support SLI. The GTX 960 was the last x60 GPU to have SLI. Then they were dropped from the 3070 and 3080.

Reactions: jaredpaolo25

7medd

Reputable
Nov 14, 2020

this is not a 2060s for sure .. I had one and I'm sure it had one 8-pin power port not two

The best way to figure out if your GPU is working to spec is to simply run it through the same benchmarks that reviewers have run the GPU at and see if the results are similar.

If there was actually something wrong with the memory, it probably wouldn't even boot up because all of the memory chips need to function for the card to function.

Jun 5, 2021
If there was actually something wrong with the memory, it probably wouldn't even boot up because all of the memory chips need to function for the card to function.

This kinda gave me a fighting chance. It boots up properly tho it has some garbage display. The common green lines everywhere kind of display.

this is not a 2060s for sure .. I had one and I'm sure it had one 8-pin power port not two

I kinda checked online which rtx msi ventus has an 8+6pin configuration... i actually got excited to think that this card might just be a 2070s with a wrong bios. 🤔

I'm just waiting for my thermal paste that I ordered before opening up this card. Fingers crossed. 😅

7medd

Reputable
Nov 14, 2020
ecked online which rtx msi ventus has an 8+6pin configuration... i actually got excited to think that this card might just be a 2070s with a wrong bios. 🤔

I'm just waiting for my thermal paste that I ordered before opening up this card. Fingers crosse
MSI 2060S Ventus V1 uses an 8 pin and 6 pin.
I was wrong and you are right. There was a V1 version I was not aware off..

I hope the bios thing works for you.

Jun 5, 2021
Opened up the card. Heat gun for 3 minutes at 400°c... and it works like a charm... tho I still can't believe how scammers still exist 🙄

Stability checked with furmark and... cyberpunk at 1080p . Runs smoothly. 😅

Double checked the inside, it is a confirmed 2060s with the right bios. Haha.
View: https://imgur.com/a/G2mSLoC

Thank you guys for all your help!

p.s. with regards to the scammer, decided not to file anything against him.