Did I buy the right hardware?

alehenestroza

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
Hey, just made a different topic with a question about my RAM, but then it hit me that maybe I made a terrible choice and bought a lot of hardware that might not run well together (probably just being paranoid, tho).
So, can you guys tell me if I made the right choice of hardware? This is what I bought:
-i7 8700k 3.7Ghz
-CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
-Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3
-Corsair Vengeance Lpx 2x8Gb DDR4 3200mhz (probably won't run at that speed, tho)
-Asus Strix Gtx 1070ti
-Corsair Carbide Spec 04 + 2 Antec Tricool 120mm

All of this with my trusty PSU, an XFX XTR 850W 80+ Gold. It's 2 years old, but it works fantastically.
So, anyways, am I going to need to replace something due to incompatibilities?
Thanks guys :)

Solution
So the website for Sentey is kind of weird. The Spanish site shows the M20 as having a CPU clearance of 166mm, but the English version of the site says it's 150mm. I would highly recommend writing in to their support and find out which number is correct.

As for your PSU, you're perfectly fine. Your setup isn't even pulling 500watts, so a 750w PSU is more than enough.
Your CPU cooler is going to be a problem. The case you have allows for a max CPU cooler height of 150mm, and the Evo is a 160mm cooler.

Other than the cooler, everything else should work fine. I'd look at the Cryorig H7 for a replacement cooler. It comes in at 145mm so it'll fit without an issue.

Both are good, it's just they don't work together. If you really like the case, change out the cooler. There are a lot of options out there that will give you a solid performer. If you want to stay with air cooling, the Cryorig H7 is a solid cooler to go with. It's only a bit more expensive than the Evo, better cooling, smaller footprint/height, and looks better in my opinion. The Noctua U9S is also a great cooler, tho Nocutas fans are either a love or hate relationship.

Change the cooler as mentioned above. The Hyper 212 EVO was a long time favorite budget cooler, but it is long in the tooth these days compared to other similar priced newer design offerings.

The Cryorig H7 is far better for not much more money. We're talking a 4-5C temp difference here in overclock (https://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/chart2.png). That is f you can get it where you live. In some countries they are hard to find.

alehenestroza

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
Sadly, the Cryorig H7 is impossible to get in my country (I don't think it's even imported). I'm thinking about changing the case for a Deepcool RGB Earlkase, would that be a good choice (would it provide decent airflow)? I would still use the 2 Antec Tricool 120mm fans I've bought on it.

Both cases would suit your needs, given the aesthetics I think the Deepcool is closer in looks to the Spec 04 than the Carbide.

What online vendors are you shopping from? Also do you intend on OCing the CPU?
We might be able to find a better cooling option in your market and let you keep the case you want. Unless you'd prefer a new case, in which either of the ones you picked out would fit the CM 212 Evo.

alehenestroza

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
The only online vendor in my country is MercadoLibre (I'm from Argentina). I ended up returning the case, since the cooler came in a combo with the RAM, the CPU and the MOBO, and changing it would have been a lot more trouble. I went with a Sentey M20 x3 fan RGB, plus the 2 ANTEC Tricool fans. I double checked the CPU clearance of that case and it seems to fit my 212 EVO (it says max CPU: 166mm).
Just one last question, I just checked that my PSU is actually an XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold, would that be enough for my PC?
Thanks!

So the website for Sentey is kind of weird. The Spanish site shows the M20 as having a CPU clearance of 166mm, but the English version of the site says it's 150mm. I would highly recommend writing in to their support and find out which number is correct.

As for your PSU, you're perfectly fine. Your setup isn't even pulling 500watts, so a 750w PSU is more than enough.

Solution

alehenestroza

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
Thanks! You've been really helpfull. As for the case, it seems the cooler just barely fits the case (I think by about 2 or 3mm). When asked, the guy that sold it to me (the case), told me it would fit, so if it turns out it doesn't, I can still get a refund, I think.
Thanks for all the help!!

BTW, the Hyper 212 EVO is a nightmare to install. I mean, its the first time I install a CPU cooler that didn't point perpendicular to the CPU/MOBO, but still... This thing is extremely complicated to install.

Yeah I'm not surprised. The EVOs mounting system is dated and a pain in the ass. It's nice they give you a screwdriver adapter for the rear nuts but... yeah there's a reason its one of my least preferred mounting systems (the old clip style coming in at first place for most hated).