Question Did I buy the wrong memory?

jdidds

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
i7 9600k processor says that it supports 2666Mhz memory. I bought this as I thought it was fine...

DDR4 3200Mhz 16Gb

Feb 25, 2019
Hi, so you are asking if you cloud run with that cpu and the memory you buyed...the answer is yes you can i think the system will automaticly downclock the ram to 2666Mhz, BUT you can use the full potential of your RAM speed by enabling XMP in the BIOS and it will run full speed. it depends on your motherboard tho. If the motherboard supports RAM overclocking then you shoud be fine. Please list your system specs and i will tell you if you can use the 3200Mhz speed or you can check by yourself by going in to bios.

Reactions: daveios92

jdidds

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
Hi, so you are asking if you cloud run with that cpu and the memory you buyed...the answer is yes you can i think the system will automaticly downclock the ram to 2666Mhz, BUT you can use the full potential of your RAM speed by enabling XMP in the BIOS and it will run full speed. it depends on your motherboard tho. If the motherboard supports RAM overclocking then you shoud be fine. Please list your system specs and i will tell you if you can use the 3200Mhz speed or you can check by yourself by going in to bios.

It's a new build. Just got the mobo and memory today, processor comes on Friday.

The mobo is an MSI Gaming Pro Carbon z390. It has XMP cababilites.

Feb 25, 2019
It's a new build. Just got the mobo and memory today, processor comes on Friday.

The mobo is an MSI Gaming Pro Carbon z390. It has XMP cababilites.

Then i think your RAM wont be bottlenecked by the motherboard and your z390 will support XMP in bios settings. So yeah im almost 100% sure that XMP profiles can be used on any Z370/390 motherboard. So you don't have to be worried friend :). If you dont know where to find the option read your MOBO guide or to a search on the internet but yeah your ram will run on this motherboard and on this processor, your motherboard can be even support to 3600mhz overclock. I hope i helped you. Have a great day :)

jdidds

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
Then i think your RAM wont be bottlenecked by the motherboard and your z390 will support XMP in bios settings. So yeah im almost 100% sure that XMP profiles can be used on any Z370/390 motherboard. So you don't have to be worried friend :). If you dont know where to find the option read your MOBO guide or to a search on the internet but yeah your ram will run on this motherboard and on this processor, your motherboard can be even support to 3600mhz overclock. I hope i helped you. Have a great day :)

Thank you for your reply. Had a bit of a panic moment :D

Anyways, have a great day! :)