[SOLVED] Did I connect my new GPU properly?

ThrashOrDie

Honorable
Feb 24, 2015
Hi, I just got my new GPU, the MSI RTX 2080 gaming trio x, and I just wanted to ask if I connected this properly to my PSU. The cable I used is the on in the picture, it has a 6pin on one end, and a snake tongue like 6+2pin times two on the other end. I plugged both those 6+2 on the snake tongue end into the GPU and the other end into the PSU, is that correct?

My concern here is that I might also need 16 pins on the end that goes into the PSU?
(picture is not showing up somehow)

https://imgur.com/ODNNoTv

ODNNoTv

Solution
It'll work, but whenever possible it's best to use entirely separate cables for each 6 or 8 pin connector. In rare cases using those daisy chained cables can result in problems(minor fire risk, potentially not enough current capacity at load) if heavily OC'd, ambient temps are high, or cable quality is poor.

junglist724

Honorable
Apr 10, 2017
It'll work, but whenever possible it's best to use entirely separate cables for each 6 or 8 pin connector. In rare cases using those daisy chained cables can result in problems(minor fire risk, potentially not enough current capacity at load) if heavily OC'd, ambient temps are high, or cable quality is poor.

Solution

ThrashOrDie

Honorable
Feb 24, 2015

Thanks for the explanation, I'll try two cables then for safety. Hope I don't blow anything up.

junglist724

Honorable
Apr 10, 2017

It's only a problem when you're drawing a lot of power and your ambient temps are high. Buildzoid did a video where he was using a Vega 64 in 30C ambient temps and his daisy chained cable was getting to 50C(on an open air test bench though), about 30-40C away from being really dangerous. But if you have the cables there's really no reason not to use separate cables.